Upgrade Nikon 200-500 to 500 pf plus 1.4x tc

Edit My Images
No
I currently have the 200-500 on my z8 and the general consensus is its not very good with a tc. I would like the ability to have more reach.

So my thoughts were to replace it with a 500mm pf.

I am curious if anyone has upgraded the 200-500 to the 500 pf and also what peoples thought on using a 1.4x tc on it.

I am shooting birds and sometimes motorsport

Ps I would be buying used

Last edited:
I don't have that lens, but I know some who do and some do use the 1.4x on it.

The 500 PF is much sharper than the 200-500, and it performs well with the 1.4x. It is not likely to resolve nearly down to sensor resolution with the TC, but it probably won't be notably worse than the 200-500 w/o the TC... and you probably don't actually need that kind of resolution anyway.

Personally, I almost never use TC's anymore... I find good technique and cropping is more than enough and about the same result; you just have to use settings that adjust for the crop (increased magnification). But I'm also using high resolution cameras (45MP FF) and sharp lenses.

Just having a look about on Google and I wonder if the Nikon Z 180-600 may a better bet?

Last edited:
Just having a look about on Google and I wonder if the Nikon Z 180-600 may a better bet?
For a Z body? Yes; that's the lens I bought... so far it is the only Z lens I have.

One of the main reasons I bought it is for the lens function button. I have it set to store focus distance; and I have the Fn1 button on the body set to recall focus distance. With mirrorless cameras this is very helpful to override the tendency of focusing long and refusing to come back. In my testing the Z180-600 is about as sharp as the 500pf and the Sigma 60-600 (at max).

For a Z body? Yes; that's the lens I bought... so far it is the only Z lens I have.

One of the main reasons I bought it is for the lens function button. I have it set to store focus distance; and I have the Fn1 button on the body set to recall focus distance. With mirrorless cameras this is very helpful to override the tendency of focusing long and refusing to come back. In my testing the Z180-600 is about as sharp as the 500pf and the Sigma 60-600 (at max).
A very clever use of the buttons!! It is frustrating when the focus locks up on longer lenses and will keep this in mind for when I return to Nikon mirrorless :p

Thanks

Back