Upgrade Path?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

First post so be gentle but im looking for a bit of advice around possible upgrade routes.

Ive got a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 Kit lens and a Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO, from what I have read the 18-70 is a good walk around lens and I am certainly happy with it but I do use the longer lens a fair bit and the results arent quite as good.

I am really a point and shoot user so it gets used for everything but I do use the longer lens for motorsport so I could do with something better for that sort of usage.

Im constrained by funds (arent we all :( ) but my thoughts at the moment are either to upgrade to a D90 and keep both lenses with the view of upgrading to something like a Nikon 70-200 2.8 when funds allow or to keep the D70 and get the Nikon 70-200 now. Either way the second stage may have to wait for a year.

Both routes feel like a good path but which will I get the best results from?

The D70 is a very good performer. You can find pics on this forum from D70's that are superb.
I would be wary of expecting a giant leap in image quality from the body upgrade you suggest.

As for the lens - I would not like to condemn the Sigma since the results you are getting may be down to you and not the lens.
As a former Nikon user I never came across a bad Nikon lens.

I have a mint Tamron 17-50 under classifieds if you fancy something a bit wider?

Dont discount a 70-200 2.8 sigma mk2, 600 or so new from amazon which means about 400-450 second hand or so ? a friend has the mk1 which is supposed to have problems with sharpness and i actually find it unbelivably sharp, yes the nikon 70-200 is something else (had a play the other day and now have my eye on a new shiny) BUT the sigma is bloody good for the price especially considering its at least 900 less

If your looking for two bodies you could get another 70? or even keep an eye out for a used 200 then you can share the CF cards compared to the SD the 90 uses, its not an issue for most people but when you consider 20gb of extreme 3 cards etc it soon adds up

I had looked at the Sigma and I will keep an eye out for a used one, it was actually an 80-200 Nikon I was considering - I think my original post was me being optimistic about the size of my bonus, a 70-200 VR is just slightly out of reach!!!

If I pick up a used lens then if im not happy I shouldnt have too much trouble moving it on, its not like AV equipment that plummets in value!

Ive heard there were a few issues with the mk1 but ive never actually seen them myself but saying that i have seen a few soft mk2s , sigma do have a bit of a problem with calibration sometimes but its easily sorted

The mk1 macro ive used is tack sharp as well and its built like a tank

Back