Upgrade time! Difference between the Nikon D600 and D810?

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to upgrade my Nikon D600 and with my budget in mind, looking at a used D810. I'm pretty new to this whole photography lark, so just wanted to ask how much difference am I going to see with my shots between the two models? I know it's all about your skill, settings, glass etc, but assuming I have decent lenses, a sturdy tripod and I'm doing everything right (lol) would I see a big difference between these two models?
Thanks!

Looking to upgrade my Nikon D600 and with my budget in mind, looking at a used D810. I'm pretty new to this whole photography lark, so just wanted to ask how much difference am I going to see with my shots between the two models? I know it's all about your skill, settings, glass etc, but assuming I have decent lenses, a sturdy tripod and I'm doing everything right (lol) would I see a big difference between these two models?
Thanks!
Unless you're planning on cropping heavily or printing HUGE I wouldn't expect to see a greaet deal of difference in the final image, you're talking something like 0.6ev better dynamic range, and 0.6 better colour depth which I very much doubt you're going to see in day to day photos.

Unless you have a very high end monitor it's unlikely you'll see the extra detail as even 4k screens can 'only' display 8.3mp.

I don't know if there's much difference in the AF systems to know if this can help you out, depending on what you shoot but the D810 was never regarded as having a top level AF system.

I think you'd see more difference from upgrading your lenses if you don't already have the top level ones.

I would say they're different styles of cameras. The D600 is an enthusiast all-rounder, the D810 a landscapers high res tool, though usable for other things too. The obvious upgrade is a D750 or 780, but the gains will be small.

Big difference in used price but if you can push to the D850 it might be a better move for what would probably be your last DSLR. I traded in my D810 for a D850, not because the D850 would have been a necessary upgrade for me but because I wanted to move to my last DSLR while it was still current. I can't comment on the D600 but if you do go for the D810 I don't think you will be disappointed.

D600 originally had loads of shutter issues and led to recalls and the D610 being produced.

Depends on what types of things you photograph... if you tend to use higher ISO's and action type photography/handheld then mostly what the higher resolution will do is make the lack of light (noise), and the lack of (pixel level) sharpness, more apparent.

I am quite happy with my Nikon D810 and usually have a Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USB G2 lens on it. I did have a nikon lens version but the Tamron image stablisation is far better and rock solid. Even the video side of the camera is not that bad with frame rate at 30 and shutter speed at 1/60sec as one of several options. Have to admit prefer usuing my camcorder. though. Changing from shooting stills to video does mean manually setting the camera up for video, ie as mentioned, is something I often forget.

Last edited:
Back