Upgrading from 30D to 40D - Worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Is it worth upgrading from a 30D to a 40D? Is it worth the £130+ expenditure?

I've been doing a lot of stock photography recently and I think the extra 2mp will aid when resizing giving me sharper images at 5100x res.

I'd also use the lens for holidays and days out and also for sports. The two lenses I've got are the Sigma f2.8 EX DG Macro 18-50mm and the Canon 70-200mm f4 L.

Cheers,

I doubt that a 10% increase in pixel density will have too much impact on image quality.

I think that your next logical step would be a 50D if your lenses are good enough to provide the sensor with suitable detail.

Bob

How much can you get a 50D for? As they are relatively new, are there are problems found with these cameras?

I'm guessing I could sell the 30D and kit lens for about £325, the 50D would be about £700 for the body. That's a lot of moola.

you would probably see a bigger increase in your output quality if you spent 130 quid on some gear to go with what you've got, maybe a nice flash?

I'd bypass the 40d and go for the 50d if you specifically want more pixels for stock work.

Whats your current kit list, another would make a bigger difference maybe?

I've got a basic kit comprising of:

Canon 30D,
Canon 70-200mm f4 L lens,
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DG MACRO lens.

I think the above lenses compliment a Canon 30D nicely, and no doubt will be good enough for a Canon 50D.

huge improvement in the viewscreen, but that doesn't make better pictures.
the L glass is lovely and will see you sorted for years to come

It's a tricky one - I sold my 30d when someone wanted one and struggled to find a 40d for a reasonable price. I was without a camera for some time and it was very frustrating.

However, if you can find a nice 40d and then sell your 30d, it should be a good move. The 40d is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the 30d. The only reason not to go for a 50d is the money - or lack of it!

Graham

I've gone from 30D (still trying to get rid of it) to 40D. I am pleased overall. The resolution increase is negligible, but now the sensor cleaning function is really great, and also it has a better shutter sound. Finally, the grip is more comfortable. You need to justify if that is worth the extra money.

with a 50d you get a helluva lot of reach with the cropping you can do. Your glass is good enough (I think so nay way as I don't know the sigma too well but its tamron brother is spot on)

Back