Upgrading from D40 to D80 / D90

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
D4o is starting to irritate me, small pixels make cropping difficult and the lack of AF motor is limiting my use with my 50mm, im thinking of trading it in for either a D80 or a D90

Link to D80 - http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ucts/Nikon/D80 18-70mm Lens -35926/Show.html

Link to D90 - http://www.jessops.com/online.store.../products/Nikon/D90 Body Only-75333/Show.html

The D90 as you know has HD Video mode, I dont really want this as I already have a video cam, question is, is the D90 that much better for the cost (excluding the video mode) than the D80 bearing in mind Il have to buy a lens for it

Or should I just get the D80 with the lens , I use a Sigma 70 - 300 HSM with my D40, will this still be compatable with the D80 despite the lens having its own build in motor?

Have you had a look over at www.dxomark.com

You can compare all three side by side against their ratings

Hopefully this link will work :)

Can't you just use your existing lens and buy a D90 body? (580 ish)

I've just gone from a D40 to a D90 and I'm very happy.

I also have the Sigma lens with built in motor and it will work just fine with the D90.

I'm using the Nikon D90 - upgraded from a D80.

I love the addition of LiveView - can't tell you how refreshing it is not to have to compose a shot through the viewfinder (which I now do 90% of the time). Especially good for low-angle and portrait tripod shot.

The 3 inch 920,000 pixel LCD screen is a big improvement over the 2.5 inch 230,000 pixel LCD screen.

I love the Picture Controls (I miss shooting in sepia from my Canon point-and-shoot days!!!), Active D-Lighting, the extra 2 megapixels isn't particularly important but it does bring it into line (resolution-wise) with the other top-end Nikons....with the exception of ISO performance. I'll go to 800 on mine and that's it. 1600 is ok but I think my expectations for its performance were set way too high. Other than that *** I think the ISO performance is better than it was on the D80.

The light meter of the D80 was 'orrible, the D90, while not perfect, is much better.

Oh yeah and there's also a sensor-cleaning option on this model which may count for jack but reassures the dumb consumer in me ;)

I'd say if money is an issue grab a D80 and a great lens ***.

i went from D40 to D40x and still wasnt happy so i went for the D80, over the moon with the D80

I have a D80, great camera looked into upgrading to the D90 much better than the D80, ISO performance and 3" screen (y)was'nt interested in the video though.But decided to go for the D300, for the extra i think it was worth it IMHO

i personally wouldnt go from 40 to 80

not tried the 90 but if you are looking at anything try a D200 also, very good value for money and can be had for only alittle more second hand than a D80

my wife has just got a D80 and I have a D60, not sure about IQ comparisons but for me the D80 wins hands down on the ergonomics and useability, it feels like its in a different class...

I was also going to upgrade to a D90 but am not so sure now, I think I'd rather have a D80 and put the extra towards another lens or wait until I can afford a D300.

If you not sure about it being worth upgrading go to a shop and hold a D40 and then a D80, when we there I did and was surprised at the difference, my wife did the same and said the D80 made the D40 feel like a 'toy' :nono: - her words not mine (though I can see where she's coming from)...

I have a D40X and a D80. I really like the D80 but find myself using the D40X more when going out. It's so much lighter and easier to carry and I don't find manual focus to be a problem, except when I forget that I'm using the 40X and not the D80 and then wonder why my shots were out of focus.:bang: The advantages of the D80 though are that the settings are much easier to access, it has built in motor, uses Commander mode for off camera flash, can be activated with infra red remote whereas D40 needs to be remotely activated by wired connection, has DOF preview button, though this isn't really much use. The D90 might be the one to go for if you like Live Preview.

d80 , theres no talking to me. anyway get yourself to a local store and see for yourself. see how it feels to you, and try and get some freebies whilst your there, if not steal them, lol

Back