'Upgrading' from Pentax K100D

Edit My Images
No
I have a great K100D, the two kit lenses and a manual old 50mm. It takes good pictures. As with all these things, I am the limiting factor, not the 'tool' in hand.

But I am aware of it's shortcomings - mainly low light and the auto focus is slooooooow. Some is lens, some is old body.

Cash is tight, but I think that if I stick with Pentax I can upgrade bit by bit. I think that going up a body to K20D initially, but then look at better lenses in a few months when I can save up.

Any thoughts on this, especially about K20D as it seems a bargain for a decent quality body.

For what it's worth, I bought a reasonable value second hand K5 body on fleabay for about £300. I probably could have bought one cheaper if I'd waited longer. Have to say, I'm very happy with it.

A K50 would be even cheaper and, as you say, a K20 more so. The only other thing I'd say is that even a K5 is quite old now, so I wouldn't want to upgrade to something which, in 12 months, I feel like I want to change again. I don't know what the difference in price between a K20 and a K50 is, but I'd lean towards the K50 unless there's a massive price differential.

I love the features of my K5 and would recommend it in an instant to someone who wants a Pentax. I think the K50 would deliver almost all of these features (at least the more important ones) at a lower price point.

Thank you. It is a good point that a K5 would be even better, maybe that balance of saving vs having the better camera.

Back