Uploading to Web

Name
James Stockton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmmmm, not very happy at the moment. When I upload all of my images to the web they suddenly become very saturated?!

I edit in CS3 using Pro RGB, then convert to sRGB to resize and upload. Is there anything wrong with what I am doing? The pictures still look ok on my computer but when viewed on the web (my flickr for example) they become too saturated and it spoils the images. :bang:

Cheers pxl8. Its been bugging me for ages and I just cant quite get my head around this colour profile stuff.

I think it makes sense now, but just to confirm, it sounds like I should be editing in sRGB? Instead of ProRGB and converting to sRGB afterwards? It might explain why pics look the ok in CS3, dull when viewing with windows and over saturated on the web. A monitor calibrator is on the cards I think. Thanks again!

Resize, then use "Save For Web" - it'll take care of the conversion to sRGB for you . . .

Also - seriously consider purchasing a monitor calibration tool - they're worth their weight in gold . . .

If i'm honest, I dont really use the save for web option. I just resize and change colour profiles manually.

If i'm honest, I dont really use the save for web option. I just resize and change colour profiles manually.

Why not give it a try ?
Adobe have designed the function to do exactly what you need it to do - save your images in a format that is optimised for viewing on the web . . .

Just a thought - when you change profiles do you use "convert to profile", or "assign profile" ?

It shouldn't matter if the working space is ProPhoto or sRGB, Photoshop should manage the colours so it looks the same on your screen. If they are looking very different outside of Photoshop then checking the monitor profile and/or calbration are what's needed.

One thing to bear in mind with getting a calibrator is that it will change your display so ALL your pictures will look different and you'll need to go back and "fix" them as although they looked ok before that was on a mis-calibrated display.

Why not give it a try ?
Adobe have designed the function to do exactly what you need it to do - save your images in a format that is optimised for viewing on the web . . .

Just a thought - when you change profiles do you use "convert to profile", or "assign profile" ?

I use convert to profile.

It shouldn't matter if the working space is ProPhoto or sRGB, Photoshop should manage the colours so it looks the same on your screen. If they are looking very different outside of Photoshop then checking the monitor profile and/or calbration are what's needed.

One thing to bear in mind with getting a calibrator is that it will change your display so ALL your pictures will look different and you'll need to go back and "fix" them as although they looked ok before that was on a mis-calibrated display.

Thanks, very helpful as usual! Well its my birthday on Friday so a colour calibrator is now on the list :D

Right I think I may have made a discovery...

Just opened an image in CS3, looks like I want it to. I used the save for web function and you get two windows, the original and the "optimized" The optimized one is the horrible over saturated one! What can I do?

Is the ICC box ticked on the right hand side?

Right I think I may have made a discovery...

Just opened an image in CS3, looks like I want it to. I used the save for web function and you get two windows, the original and the "optimized" The optimized one is the horrible over saturated one! What can I do?

In the save for web window, click on the Optimise Menu arrow - its to the right of the "Preset" dropdown box . . . Make sure that "Convert To sRGB" is UNTICKED . . . . .

Now, back in Photoshop - convert your image to sRGB in the usual way, then select Save For Web . . . Does the optimised image look any better ?

Stevieboy..... You are a ledgend!!!!!!

Before - The 'orrilbe way

2757063519_c752d43b2f_o.jpg

After - Stevieboys way!

Austria173.jpg

Can anyone explain why this is?

Theres a rather long thread discussing it here :

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3c053066/0

The gist of it all seems to be that the convert to sRGB routine in Photoshop doesn't work how it should, and the way you've just done it is a workaround :shrug:

Quite a difference there, the first is a message from flickr, the second is a photograph :LOL: :bang:

I'm soo damn happy! Now you lot can see what I can see!

I have been putting up with this since day one :LOL:

Honestly I can't... the flickr shot isn't showing up.. just an image is currently unavailable message :shrug:

Oh poop, its because I have replaced the original oversaturated one on flickr with the better one. I'll try and post up another example

Erm, both shots show the image is using ProPhoto as a colour space :(

But when I convert them to sRGB thats when they get really saturated? I did use a cir pol filter so the greens and blue are quite rich anyway.

Before (sRGB)

after.jpg

After (Saved as ProPhoto)

before.jpg

I'm using Firefox 3, and as its colour managed both images look identical on my monitor . . . .

What?! How can this be? Both look totally different on mine. Top one is much more saturated as opposed to the bottom one?

Can anyone else see a difference?

But when I convert them to sRGB thats when they get really saturated? I did use a cir pol filter so the greens and blue are quite rich anyway.

Ok, this is a basic mis-understanding of how colour profiles work.

The ProPhoto is showing less saturation in the web browser because it's not colour managed. If you view the shot in a browser that does support CM then the saturation comes back and it looks the same as the sRGB version.

The ProPhoto might look right on your screen but looks very different on a calibrated and managed system. You can't view the photo in isolation and assume because it looks right to you then all is well, it's not. Colour management is about getting consistent colour across devices and this is a classic example of what happens when it goes wrong.

What?! How can this be? Both look totally different on mine. Top one is much more saturated as opposed to the bottom one?

Can anyone else see a difference?

Yes and no.

Yes in IE7 (not colour managed)

No in FF3/Safari (colour managed)

It's also worth mentioning that if you were to calibrate your display the saturated version is how the image is supposed to look, not the de-saturated version you prefer.

Yup, and then you'll see what the shots really look like :(

Pants. Its what I wanted to avoid but I guess its the way forward.

So colour calibrated monitor = Images look the same in CS3, in Windows, on the internet and to other people?

So is there anything else I can do in the meantime? Thanks for all your help btw!

Pants. Its what I wanted to avoid but I guess its the way forward.

So colour calibrated monitor = Images look the same in CS3, in Windows, on the internet and to other people?

So is there anything else I can do in the meantime? Thanks for all your help btw!

They'll look the same to anyone else with a calibrated display and in colour managed apps, so not IE7.

In the meantime stop using ProPhoto, stick with sRGB and then you'll get a much closer match between managed and non-managed environments.

It reads your monitor profile from the system so the only thing you need to worry about is that the working space is sRGB and set the same for output from your RAW conversion app. Leaving Proofing turned off and you shouldn't see much difference between CS3 and IE7.

If its not broke dont fix it eh. Camera is set to sRGB, monitor to sRGB and CS3 sRGB. Lets upload some test shots!

Huston we have a problem, all my pics are now oversaturated on my comp! :LOL: Well at least they look like they do on the web and in windows explorer.... is that a good thing, I think not :(#

To me it sounds like everything is matching, I just need to edit my pics to suit again!

Yep, the pics were wrong to start with so you need to edit them, but bear in mind when you get calibrated they'll likely change again.

Thanks, really appriciate your help.

All this colour profile business makes me want to go back to film!

But dont go anywhere just yet, i'm sure something else will go wrong and i'll be back with more questions.... :LOL:

Just one last quick picture -

Straight from the camera - Just want to see that once posted it still looks like it does on my monitor. If it does then lets get editing.....!

Austria303.jpg

EDIT - The answer is yes sooooo :D:D:D

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of colour management :bang:

I went through this whole game a few months ago - and magically when I took the advice here and bought a colour calibration tool it all neatly sorted itself out. It's lovely having the confidence that it all works.

There's quite a few of us who have gone through this loop and asked similar questions. I would suggest that a willing (or pressed) volunteer compiles the collective wisdom in this thread and the referenced ones and that the mods make it into a sticky (the simple stuff first and then the complicated explanations after!). Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to do it!

cheers
Dean

Back