Used a clean cloth on polarizer now smudges?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was told by members here and other forums that i use any cloth on a lens to clean it aslong as its not rough.. Now i used the cloth on the polarizer because it had a finger print on it ( one of the kids said whats this ) . Now i can see a ring smudge right around the filter against this blue light i use.

I really need a lens cloth or something thats meant for lens's and filters and how do i fix this polarizer its not noticable through the eye but it is held up against a led light.

Why would you spend good money on a lens or even a filter and then use any old rag to clean it? Of course you should use a proper microfibre cloth or some other 'proper' method of cleaning - and be gentle!

get a lenspen, it will remove anything, no smudges.

I second a lenspen they are great.

It's also good to remember if you're going to use microfiber clothes, wash it at 40 degrees and do NOT add conditioner :LOL: I use a microfiber cloth that I have had for years, and it is the best one I have had too. But recently after the hubby washed it for me it started leaving smears on my lenses. Then he admitted that he had accidentally added fabric conditioner to the wash. His excuse was that it had been thrown in with clothes this time instead of the usual load of tea towels (which do not require fabric conditioner, in case any of you none domesticated men or women wanted to know :LOL:).

Guess I need to find a new cloth :( Any recommendations on really good ones?

But recently after the hubby washed it for me it started leaving smears on my lenses. Then he admitted that he had accidentally added fabric conditioner to the wash. His excuse was that it had been thrown in with clothes this time instead of the usual load of tea towels

Guess I need to find a new cloth :( Any recommendations on really good ones?

You could just find a new husband. :):)
I get mine from the opticians for about £1 each.
They seems to do the job just fine.

Why would you spend good money on a lens or even a filter and then use any old rag to clean it? Of course you should use a proper microfibre cloth or some other 'proper' method of cleaning - and be gentle!

Suddenly people think im using an old rag , Funny i don't remember saying that :shrug:

Anyone else? , the cloth i used was the " lens cloth " that came with my glasses i have 4 clean ones and it just made the smudge worse with lots of swirl marks

I have a hoya pro CPL and its a right b`stard to clean. Not much help I know, but i`m keen for any advice as well as yourself.....

Bloody opticians are selling everything these days:eek:

I have some microfibre cloths for sale. £1 for 2 of the small 20x20cm ones, or £1 for a big 40x40cm one. I was doing them with free P&P, but I'll have to charge 60p or so.

They seems to do the job just fine.

I bet she goes to Specsavers

To the more helpful replies , thanks!

You're very welcome I'm sure

Pirate Neilsouth said:
I was told by members here and other forums that i use any cloth on a lens to clean it aslong as its not rough

I apologise if you think my reply was not helpful but in response to that ^ I think it was at least pertinant.

Would a swish round in a bowl of washing up liquid and then polish with microfibre cloth do the trick? I always clean my Oakleys this way and they come up fine. I don't know how it would work on filters though. Has anyone tried it?

In relation to dust and smudges and all things crappy i've ordered this!

6-in-1 Cleaning Kit with Lens Cleaning Pen +Dust Blower

Got the cleaning kit this morning with special anti fog alcohol spray and well it made so many swirl marks i could see it without using any blue light. I used the lint free cleaning cloths and the special lens cleaning cloth and it made no difference. I decided to use a different material cloth actually i used my clean shirt which had a harder fabric and it pretty much cleaned it right up.

Going to leave it alone now , but still these polarizer's are a biatch to clean !

Spray some anti fog alcohol lens cleaning stuff on it , use a lint free cloth yes it will probably smear. Then use some 100% cotton fabric , thats what i did on mine the lint free cloth on it's own was useless!

This is the polarizer

I was [and still am] tempted to see if a filter would make a good frisbee :)

They make a good clay pigeon target, as do Ritz crackers. :D

The lens pens are awesome. A friend cleaned my LCD's, viewfinder and lenses front and back for me recently. They came up like new.

Apparently not expensive either...

Hello,
It’s more money but the Visible dust lens clean fluid with their cloth works like magic. I had had some very old filters which had been in the back of a cupboard (without any protection like a box) for years. A couple of goes with the combo above and they were like new. I wish I’d taken before and after shots as the difference was dramatic.
One thing you spray the cloth and wipe don’t spray the cleaning fluid onto the glass.

I`ve tried the lens pens with great success, but they eventually end up leaving swirls again.
If you can find any Windex window cleaner ( USA Product) that will work great with a clean cloth and water, its the only thing recommended to clean telescope optics ( a 10" circular objective lens needs some seriously delicate cleaning)
Failing that, i just got some Eclipse optic cleaning fluid and Pec Pads, 4" square lint free non abrasive wipes ( 99.999% free of contaminants)
Use a clean Pec Pad each time and you will never see any swirls.
Does it work? Yes, brought all my lenses and filters back to looking like new.
I got mine off Ebay but quite a few photo shops sell it online. Leica and Tokina Hoya recommend it!!
Try ebay item 190209382197
Allan

I had a good chat with a member of staff in Calumet, who reckoned that it's the multi-coating that makes the hoyas so difficult to clean. They need lots of elbow grease.

hang on. hang on. STOP THE THREAD!

Husband does the washing :thinking:

What heinous crime did he commit to warrant being forced into this act of blatant housekeeping. :bat:

Oh! Hold on. Just noticed the date. Tis OK.

/edit - yeh - microfibre cleans everything in this house.

Back