User error or lens problem

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

Recently i seem to be getting a lot of out of focus images using my Sigma 70-200. I'm not sure if the problem is with me or with the lens

Judging by the grass the focus appear to be hitting slightly behind the player. Some from today

1080127260_Vvqez-M.jpg

1080127399_APGGg-M.jpg

1080127490_hPYkL-M.jpg

These were all at f/2.8 using centre point focus

Any help would be very much appreciated

Paul

Hi. I found by accident that there is a focus point highlight on my Canon 50D. When using centre point it shows on the playback where it focussed - often times just off where I want it to be! Great for feedback, even if I cus more than usual when I see it in the playback!

Last edited:
Paul, you did have it in AF servo didn't you (of course you did but better check!)
Is this happening on the first of a burst or during? Are they all a little out, have you tried to re create the situation and alter the aperture to see if the 2.8 is out and needs calibrating.
What about light, how much was there as low light might effect the af on the body (anybody know?)
Do you keep your lens on the body all the time or take on and off as it might be the contacts, sure I've heard something about sigma's and this (anybody else?)

Shaun

I'm looking to buy either the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 or the Tamron version as I cant afford/justify the expense of the Sony.
After reading numerous reviews the Sigma was noted as having problems with front focusing. The Tamron came out tops for IQ but the Sigma was best for focus speed/noise.
I believe Sigma will under warranty recalibrate the lens but you may need to send your camera as well.
I thought Canon cameras had a menu setting that allowed to fine tune the focus.

Back