Using 580EX off camera on Manual

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All

Ive been using my 580EX II off camera for a good few months now, I always use manual mode and trigger using skyports.

On thing thats has REALLY started bugging me is that the flash auto switches OFF after a few minutes sitting idle!! Now its really starting to become a pain in the ass having to reset it every min or so.

Ive read the instruction for the flash but cant find any solution, and I cant find the solution from searches on the forum. Surely im not the only one who finds this annoying!

Any solutions?

Cheers

Have you tried depressing the camera shutter button half way?

Is there a test fire button on the skyport, will that wake the flash if pressed at the transister end. :shrug:

@madmitch Yeah - there is a test fire button but it doesnt "wake" the flash, he apears to be a heavy sleeper!

@Admirable i usually discover the flash has went into idle by taking a shot, which results in a nice shade of black.

In a way Its good to hear im not the only one who has this problem!

The 580 is designed to sleep after a period without use, pressing the shutter half way wakes it from sleep mode.
It may be that pressing the shutter down fully does not give the flash time to wake and flash?
Have you tried it?

It's possible the Skyports are interfering with the setup so I would just disable the auto power off in the custom functions.

Set custom function 01 (CF-01) to 1.

and try that.

The 580 is designed to sleep after a period without use, pressing the shutter half way wakes it from sleep mode.
It may be that pressing the shutter down fuuly does not give the flash time to wake and flash?
Have you tried it?

I was going to reply straight away but decided to double check - defo doesnt wake it up. It works like this while on camera but not off while using skyports.

I would be interested to see if pocket wizards deal with it?

Right excellent SORTED

For those of you who were struggling like myself to turn off auto turn off -

Hold down the C.Fn button down (far left button), scroll up until the display shows
"Fn 00 0"

Press the ok button (button in middle of the dial)

Now scroll round until your display says "Fn 00 1"

Done!

Now go read pg27 of the manual to understand what you've just done!

Cheers Adimirable!

You're welcome!

My 430 EX does this and it's a pain. :(

Back