Beginner Using a monopod. ...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I posted this in the front section of TP, maybe I should have posted here really. .......

I know this may sound like a real dumb question, but is there a "right way" to use a monopod?

I like to take my camera on any walking trip and find carrying a tripod a bit "clumsy"; so I use my monopod, and although a lot easier to deploy, and less clumsy (for me at least), I still get the feeling that I'm not doing it quite right. .....so, are there any tips, tricks, hints. ...? Thanks in advance, Dave.

No rules...Use and carry it how you like.
But your legs make up the third part of a tripod, so a good stance is important.

I have a heavy monopod. But my Bracher walking pole doubles as a monopod as it has a screw top. so mostly I use that.

What they don't mention, is that if you can find something to brace it against it can be almost as sturdy as a tripod.
Nor do you have to brace it against the ground, it can also be used horizontally or at an angle.
I have even used one shortened as a sort of chest body pod, when the ground is not steady, like on a boat.

I have purchased a 'holder' that clips to a belt - similar to those used by the flag carriers in parades. Not sure how good it is though.

Also John Greengo ( I believe) produced a video for Creativelive showing that they are not that effective by taking pictures at different speeds and comparing the results.

Great advice, and some good tips to try out, many thanks folks. .

Back