using Adobe

Name
ash
Edit My Images
No
Hi i want to learn to use photoshop CC online, but i don't know how to learn to use it without paying to learn. My mates can use photoshop cc and what they can do amazes me. Can i use sample photos to edit images?

Hi i want to learn to use photoshop CC online, but i don't know how to learn to use it without paying to learn. My mates can use photoshop cc and what they can do amazes me. Can i use sample photos to edit images?

Hi Ash

Photoshop CC as you know is subscription only and is a massively featured program.

It does have a reduced version called Photoshop Elements, which AFAIK can be bought outright for approx £90

For both there are free learning tools such as this Adobe page for Elements https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop-elements/user-guide.html

Not sure whether that helps but if you could be more expansive with whether you are asking about software and/or learning & tutorials that you have to pay for??

You will never learn photoshop in its entirety its too big (like excel or access)so don,t bother.
The key to PS is layers and masking,learn those and then when you want to do something specific, like boost local contrast ,replace a sky etc find out how to do that,keep notes or bookmark where you found the information.
Adobe , google and youtube are your friends.

Last edited:
i've got PS CC installed on my pc but i don't know how to use it. im looking for free online tutorials that has sample images to work on along with the tutorials.

thanks, Ash

i've got PS CC installed on my pc but i don't know how to use it. im looking for free online tutorials that has sample images to work on along with the tutorials.

thanks, Ash

Okey dokey

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/tutorials.html
These say they have sample files to download...........................looks like this may be the case for every video tutorial :)

They cover a very wide range of 'how to do' for both Beginners and Experienced PS CC users

Hope that helps :)

You'll want to watch videos from the folks below to learn some good stuff. Whilst you might see that they're aimed at a certain type of photography like Landscapes etc you don't need to focus on that so much in the learning stage, just focus on the techniques being used as they can be applied elsewhere.

Phlearn

Jimmy McIntyre

Go to a public library and borrow books. I'm sure they may have some books on Photoshop, even if the books are outdated and suited for earlier versions of Photoshop. But they will still give you some ideas and clues anyway.

There are many online websites that you can look up, as well as many YouTube videos too. You'll just have to Google for them, and will have to go through so many different websites. Can't be helped, but with so many different websites, they could give you something to learn about. Specially since each would have their own ways of explaining how to do this and that.

Find out if any of your friends or anyone you know, actually have any books on the subject of Photoshop and ask to borrow their books. Some may have bought monthly magazines that may have features on Photoshop, ask them when they've finished with the magazines, why not encourage them to recycle the magazines by giving them to you.

With Xmas coming up, you could try asking your family to buy you any of the Photoshop books as a gift? Better for you to say "Dad, I would like to have this book for Christmas, please?" than your family giving you something you don't like, like socks or jumpers.

You may as well save up and have to buy a book for yourself anyway, specially as you may still keep needing to look up something you have forgotten. I paid for Scott Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers. Even thought I have finished studying it, and can use Lightroom, I sometimes once in a while, forgotten something so sometimes look it up.

I have always found books and random tutorials a very inefficient way to learn software. My advice is different from others. If you know how to open an image file then just start to ask questions about what you want to do and google the answers. You will quickly learn your way around the programme and new knowledge is more efficiently acquired. For example, you might open the image and ask yourself, how do I change the size of this image or how do I remove a part of the image? The answers to these questions could be quickly found online and will also introduce your concepts like the tools bars and selections etc. A few hours and you'll be away. My 2c :)

I have always found books and random tutorials a very inefficient way to learn software. My advice is different from others. If you know how to open an image file then just start to ask questions about what you want to do and google the answers. You will quickly learn your way around the programme and new knowledge is more efficiently acquired. For example, you might open the image and ask yourself, how do I change the size of this image or how do I remove a part of the image? The answers to these questions could be quickly found online and will also introduce your concepts like the tools bars and selections etc. A few hours and you'll be away. My 2c :)

Largely agree with this however watching random tutorials, for me at least, made me find out about things that I never thought about on how to improve editing for example luminosity masks which I learned from Jimmy McIntyre. It depends on how people learn I suppose.

Largely agree with this however watching random tutorials, for me at least, made me find out about things that I never thought about on how to improve editing for example luminosity masks which I learned from Jimmy McIntyre. It depends on how people learn I suppose.

What you say is true, it is amazing what we can learn by randomly exploring.

Hi thanks for your help, I have decided to follow Phlearn on youtube to learn photoshop, but i don't know which videos to start with or what to start to learn with photoshop CC.

Perhaps your mates can show you the basics, it’s much easier watching and learning, you can ask questions as you go along.

Where you start depends on how comfortable you are with PS at the moment and which direction you want to go in. Some use it to create artworks from scratch in the same way an artist paints or draws on a blank canvas. Others want to start with a scene from a camera, and either use PS to enhance it by adjusting contrast, curves etc., and to remove some blemishes. Others want to do more time consuming edits, adjusting the shape of items, introducing things from other photographs and making it seem they were supposed to be there.

If your mates are really good mates, and are skilled with PS, I am sure they will be pleased to offer some assistance.

All I will say vis YouTube is your friend. I have found that if I need a tutorial then someone has posted it al ready.

Back