Using an external monitor?

I’ve recently done something similar and for the same reasons but decided against this monitors, 1 because the reviews were somewhat lacking. All I could find where the YouTubers singing their praises and 2 because the screen size just isn’t that much bigger than my camera screen.

I ended up going for the Accsoon cineview nano and a second hand iPad Mini.
The mini connects to the cineview wirelessly which means the mini can be moved about allowing me to shoot at very low angles or on a very high tripod but still have the screen in a more comfortable position.

Last edited:
I’ve recently done something similar and for the same reasons but decided against this monitors, 1 because the reviews were somewhat lacking. All I could find where the YouTubers singing their praises and 2 because the screen size just isn’t that much bigger than my camera screen.

I ended up going for the Accsoon cineview nano and a second hand iPad Mini.
The mini connects to the cineview wirelessly which means the mini can be moved about allowing me to shoot at very low angles or on a very high tripod but still have the screen in a more comfortable position.
That sounds ideal, I will have a look into this, thanks for the help

I've seen people running a tethered laptop tablet thing strapped to their arm. I am not exactly sure how this all connects up but there are clear benefits but also disadvantages like the cable. WIFI sadly still appears to be very laggy with most cameras; perhaps they should take a page out of DJI

I use an external monitor a lot of the time. It really helps if you are working in tight spaces when you can't see the on camera monitor or get your eye to the viewfinder. I also do a lot of night photography and the focus peeking tools and wave forms to get the exposure and focus right.

It adds quiet a bit to the weight though as you will probably need a cage to mount the monitor and a clamp to protect you HDMI port and the bright monitors will use a large NP-F battery in a couple of hours.

I preferer to use things that connect with cables, they are always more reliable and quicker to set up than wireless.

The other thing I use is a Hoodman Loupe, they are a bit expensive for what they are but very useful if you want check manual focus or review images in bright sunlight.

Andrew HATFIELD | Architectural and Interior Photographer

Back