Using built in flash 300D

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, having a few problems here and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or tell me where to go and read up.

I generally hate using flash so have avoided using it up until now, I'll start by explaining in my simple terms what happened and where I need help.

My understanding of exposing correctly (I'm in manual here) is that I press the shutter button half way while being aimed at what I would like to expose for, e.g. the sky, then I adjust my settings (appature, shutter speed, iso) depending on the effect that I am trying to acheive, by lining the moving green arrow with the centre arrow... So unless I am mistaken this is me setting the exposure to what the camera recommends for the scene??

Where I had a problem was for example this morning, The dog was in the conservatory and I still haven't had a lot of chance to play with the nifty fifty yet so thought I would take the opportunity to take some pics. The problem being it was stupidly sunny this morning and I was lying on the flaw composing the shot so the dogs head was surrounded by sky... however, because the sky was so bright I could either expose to get the sky clear, but then the dogs head was a silhouette or I could expose for the dogs head and the sky was burnt out.... fair enough I thought, I this makes sense to me so I need some extra light on the dogs face, i.e. flash.

So I popped up the flash on the camera, but I don't know how to judge how it's going to work, maybe it's just me but it does not seem to have any effect on how the camera thinks the exposure will come out... for example if it says I am under exposing by 1 stop and I pop the flash.. it still seems to say I'm under exposing... am I doing something wrong here, is this how it's supposed to work... if so are there any tips / guides to using the flash successfully, been taking photo's for a while now but as I said have avoided flash like the plague, as like everything I don't like to play with it until I can find a need for it.

Sorry about the long post and someone please help!!

If you take your exposure from the sky, then use the flash, the flash will fill in the dog, I thunk

If you take your exposure from the sky, then use the flash, the flash will fill in the dog, I thunk

That's what I was hoping, but should it affect what I am seeing with regards to exposure in the viewfinder / lcd screen.... as in do i have any settings I can adjust for the flash etc? or does everything I see with regards to camera settings stay the same and the only difference is the flash fires and fills in the dark areas?

Just had a quick play with my old 300D and it seam that the pop-up flash works as a fill-in flash and auto meters it's self.

The manual says.
Select <M> mode to set the shutter and the aperture value manually. The main subject is exposed properly by the flash. the background exposure varies according to the shutter speed and aperture settings.

Just had a quick play with my old 300D and it seam that the pop-up flash works as a fill-in flash and auto meters it's self.

The manual says.
Select <M> mode to set the shutter and the aperture value manually. The main subject is exposed properly by the flash. the background exposure varies according to the shutter speed and aperture settings.

So would that mean, point at the sky and take a reading by pressing the shutter half way, set my exposure according to that and then the flash will do it's thing manually according to the subject I am shooting?

Back