Using Flash Off Camera

Name
Peter Barber
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just treated myself to a second-hand 550EX. I am looking to use the flash off camera. I am a total numpty and haven't got a clue how to do this. Can someone please advise me on what the options are for doing this. Do I need a cable, wireless trigger, or something else.

Any advise would be appreciated.

You can use a cable if you are only going to move it a foot or so off camera.

After that your options are.

Radio triggers called Cactus (or PT-04) off ebay. Should cost about £30 for two.

Canon's ST-E2 flash controller. Allows you to meter from the camera and that info is transmitted to the flash so you still get ETTL. About £160.

Elincrom skysports (Cherryrig is our resident expert) Allows radio triggering (not ETTL) over a fair distance.

Pocketwizards. Horrendously expensive (over £300 for two) but absolutely the best there is (so far) Mega range and can trigger a camera remotely using them too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response. So the cheapie eBay ones don't offer me ETTL. Will I miss it, I will only be using the flash for portraits of the kids and such and wanted to be able to use it off camera for more creative lighting.

I don't even know eough about the flash to know the benefits of ETTL, but will read up on this.

I would go for cheap radio triggers, you can get them off ebay as mentioned and they will quickly let you get to grips with the principles of off-camera flash.

If you aren't concerned with depth of field and have some leeway with aperture you don't even have to go back to the flash to adjust it when it is off-camera. Simply changing your aperture will brighten or darken the apparent light from the flash.

I am getting into this just now and to be honest with just a little bit of playing around you will find you can quickly guess what setting to put your flash to and you wont be far off the mark. A couple of test shots and you will have it nailed.

Also, if you decide you want to keep TTL try the camera cords, I got a five foot one from ebay for much cheapness that still maintains high speed flash sync.

Good luck.

Personally, I'd go for some sort of 'flash modifier' al la Gary Fong http://garyfonginc.com/index.html or a Lastolite jobbie.

Although you will get lots of people telling you to save money and butcher milk bottle cartons - depends how much time you've got.

If, after this, you still feel you need off camera get a short extension lead which will maintain eTTL.

When you get into flash triggers (with eTTL) which I haven't yet, I'm guessing you would need multiple flashes to get the best out of these.

Personally, I'd go for some sort of 'flash modifier' al la Gary Fong http://garyfonginc.com/index.html or a Lastolite jobbie.

Although you will get lots of people telling you to save money and butcher milk bottle cartons - depends how much time you've got.

If, after this, you still feel you need off camera get a short extension lead which will maintain eTTL.

When you get into flash triggers (with eTTL) which I haven't yet, I'm guessing you would need multiple flashes to get the best out of these.

Sorry for my ignorance, but the product on the link was a flash diffuser, which will help soften the light, but how will it help achieve what I want with off camera flash, such as backlight, lighting from different positions etc. (To be honest don't know what I want, as I am just trying to learn).

If I were you mate I wouldn't go spending money on diffusers etc as hey are expensive and until you know what you plan to do with your flash it may be oney wasted.

Check out www.strobist.com and look at the lighting 101 and 102 archives. Then, try making some homemade snoots, gobos and diffusers so you can try the different effects. Once you have decided what direction you want to take then start worrying about what to buy.

To be honest the homemade snoots and that are as good as the manufactured ones, they just look homemade but if you are playing in the house then who cares.

Good luck

It really depends on why you feel the need for off camera flash.

What are you trying to achieve (or avoid) ?

What I am saying, regarding flash modifiers is that, on camera, they may meet your requirements, however as stated, you could then try a off camera lead which maintains eTTL. I got a non-canon one off ebay, works OK.
Something like this : http://tinyurl.com/34xlfx

Its a bit short, but as someone here suggested, you can buy two and join them together.

For the cheapskates out there, some free modifiers :

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/flash-mini-bouncer
or
http://www.dphotojournal.com/diy-cheap-flash-diffuser/

Thanks everyone from the responses. You really gave me some material to read and options to consider.

Much appreciated.

To start with,

1. Buy Cactus triggers from ebay

Then temporarily use your tripod as a light stand if you already have one. And make an ABBC ( A Better Bounce Card ) .
You don't have to buy from "him", watch his tutorial and make one. The white ABBC is a good start. You can buy materials from Hobbycraft if you are near one.

To start with,

1. Buy Cactus triggers from ebay

Then temporarily use your tripod as a light stand if you already have one. And make an ABBC ( A Better Bounce Card ) .
You don't have to buy from "him", watch his tutorial and make one. The white ABBC is a good start. You can buy materials from Hobbycraft if you are near one.

Thanks Mate,

I read and watched alot of the stuff on strobist this afternoon and I think the catus units will be the way to go. So that will be my first starting point.

Which of the cheap Cactus ones off ebay work with the 580 EX II as I've bought a set a while ago and while they work with my 550, they won't work with my 580!

Cheers,
Carl.

Which of the cheap Cactus ones off ebay work with the 580 EX II as I've bought a set a while ago and while they work with my 550, they won't work with my 580!

Cheers,
Carl.

The surest way is to look for Gadget infinity seller on ebay and ask them for cactus V2s, otherwise, search V2s on ebay and you'll be presented with a pile of them.

Thanks for that, I've just ordered a transmitter and receiver and an additional reciever from Gadget Infinity.

Cheers,
Carl.

Or just barter your firstborn for some pocketwizards :runaway:

I had no end of fun with my ebay triggers and eventually bought two PWs - fortunately I can get away with just 2 as I have optical sensors on all my flashes, just about the only sensible thing I've ever done!

I tried buying the radiopoppers direct from the states when they first got released and they cancelled my order as the radio frequencies they use are not sanctioned in the UK :(

The V2s don't have the 550EX listed in their compatibility list:thinking:

Does anyone know if these work on the 550EX.

IWatch out the Radio Popper JrX. is available this month but only is US, their website says it should be available next year by Feb. IIRC

http://radiopopper.com/blog/?cat=5

tried buying the radiopoppers direct from the states when they first got released and they cancelled my order as the radio frequencies they use are not sanctioned in the UK :(

Do you know what the cost of these are, as I am looking for cheap and cheerful. So I figured I could play with cheapies until I know what I am doing and upgrade later if they are limited.

The V2s don't have the 550EX listed in their compatibility list:thinking:

Does anyone know if these work on the 550EX.

Do you know what the cost of these are, as I am looking for cheap and cheerful. So I figured I could play with cheapies until I know what I am doing and upgrade later if they are limited.

I don't have 550EX but I used the V2s on 540EZ and they work. My guess is that they will work with 550EX but your best bet is to ask GI if no one in the forum has the combo.

The cost of Popper JrX is £99 for 1 Tx and 1Rx. Its on the website.

Some seem to claim it but I've got a couple of Centon Canon copies and the V2s don't work on them either - If you are after compatibility you might be safer looking at the triggers that Calumet sell - I havent used them myself and they are a bit more expensive but at least you've hopefully got some comeback if they don't - and hopefully they would let you try them in-store.

I tried the Calumet ones with my 580 and they didn't work so gave up on them.

I've a set of the V1 cactus ones and they work ok with my 550. If these new ones work with both flashes, then I'll let the old ones go!

Carl.

Back