Using HP5+ @ ISO200, thoughts?

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
I read that Ilford HP5+ responds really well to being used at ISO200 so I thought I would give it a go.

I'm fairly new to film so I thought I'd see what the more seasoned thought of this (photo and processing critique welcome, I'm thick skinned :D).

HP5+, ISO200, Ilfosol 3 (1+14) for 8 minutes, Ilford Rapid Fixer for 5 minutes.

Thoughts?

5529147613_e6da09818a_b.jpg

You have still ended up with a lot of grain in there. I think a dedicated slower film would have been better. I think HP5+ will respond a lot better to upping rather than lowering the ISO!

I agree with menthal HP5+ has an old grain structure to it so even rating it at 200 will still give you a fair bit of grain.

However Ilford Delta 400 rated at 200 works well, shot lots of that and the grain structure is a lot tighter.

However i like the image I like the way the back of the seat and the scarf are in focus and the rest out of focus.

You look to have some dust spots on there I would get rid of them if your scanning and using some editing software.

Bit late but welcome to the forum.

To be honest, if you "NEED" 200 ISO, you'd have been better over-rating FP4+ by a bit 2/3 of a stop.

I agree it didn't reduce the grain that much, really just playing to see what sort of results I get out of it.

I do like the grain I get out of the HP5+, but since it's pretty much the same at ISO200 might as well shoot it at its rated speed or 800.

The original speed of the HP series was 200 anyway but in 1960 they actually just relabelled the same emulsion as 400 as it has sufficient lattitude to be exposed at quite a few differing speeds. Obviously HP5+ is a slightly different emulsion but the same applies.

I was reading a forum post on a film-based website recently where the guy said he was going to use only HP5+ for a full year, but wasn't sure which developer. There was plenty response on good combinations, but I'm not so sure that Ilfosol was one of the ones recommended. I like the shot well enough, but I'm not just so sure about the out-of-focus detail in the trees on the left, but that'll be a lens issue rather than a developer one.

I tried going the other way (pushing HP5+ to ISO 800) in Ilfosol and it wasn't pretty (link to image if you're interested). Further reading (Ilford website) suggested that Ilfosol is not the best developer for push/pull processing.

Ian.

I tried going the other way (pushing HP5+ to ISO 800) in Ilfosol and it wasn't pretty (link to image if you're interested). Further reading (Ilford website) suggested that Ilfosol is not the best developer for push/pull processing.

Ian.

Ahh, that could be something to do with it. Well it's a one shot developer anyway so once I'm done with the current bottle I'll look for something else. Ilfosol3 certainly doesn't seem to be the most versatile of developers, but it's certainly an easy solution!

I quite like the grainy effect, all i will say is perhaps straighten up the bench?

Back