Using multiple flashes the Canon way

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
OK, so all you nikon owners get to gloat right here. Nikon have got it right with their multiple flash setup, all their flashes have optical triggers, even the older SB24,26, so you pop your modern flash atop your DSLR or trigger it off camera in commander mode and off you go. It triggers the other units. Easy isn't it? And if you have the latest generation you can use the ingenious commander mode and fire them all off maintaining ETTL too. Brilliant!

Canon? What an arse it is!

Basically here is my experience of trying to cobble together something akin to what Nikon provide.

You can go the route that Canon would like you to take. Buy a 580ex and a few 4 series and you can use the 580ex as the master and the 4 series as slaves. But you also need to invest in a ST-E2 triggering device for your hotshoe That's £130! Total budget for a 580ex, ST-E2 and a couple of 4 series? Budget around £600.

There are a few routes you can go down if you are a Canon owner.

1. Use radio triggers. Don't buy a 580ex MKI. It does not have a PC port and is next to useless in this scenario. The 580exMKII is fine. But you don't have to buy Canon! You can fire any kind of flash you like off the hotshoe using radio triggers. Cactus, Elinchrome, Calumet, Pocketwizard to name a few. No ETTL but if you are trying to do creative off camera lighting would you really want ETTL? Do studio lights have ETTL? No don't be silly so you don't really need it. This way you can use any old flashgun you like so long as it has a PC port. You can clamp them on things, put them on stands all sorts of stuff and not a cable in sight. Just make sure it has a PC port.

2. Use the ST-E2 to trigger a canon flash and use optical slaves on the other flashes. This is the route I've had to go down because of the lack of a PC port on the 580ex MKI. Wein peanuts are the answer. Little optical devices that fit the ports on my two Vivitar flashes and allow me to trigger off the 580ex. That way I can trigger all three flashes. Or I could get a radio trigger and only use the two Vivitars but it seems a shame not to be able to include canon's own flash :wacky:

3. Buy Nikon! No I'm not being silly. Use an ST-E2 to trigger the 580ex and buy a couple of old Nikon flashes. The SB24,26 era all have built in optical triggers just like the wein peanuts I had to add to the Vivitars. So you fire the Canon flash and the Nikons fire using their optical triggers.

I'm going to see how the Vivitars work with the Wein Peanuts over the next few months. If I have any trouble with them at all, I'm getting rid of the 580ex MkI and I'll get a MkII (I do need to keep one flash for ETTL on camera stuff for weddings) . Oh and some decent radio triggers for those days when I want creative flash lighting and Canon are not coming to the party!

I hope that helps those who find themselves in a similar boat when you want to add extra flash and don't want to spend £600 to do it. You can buy radio triggers on ebay for under £50. Calumet and Elinchrome are dearer and pocketwizards expensive. But with some Cactus ones off ebay and a couple of older flashguns you can start getting creative flash solutions for under £150. Just make sure the flashes have PC ports!

I hope i'm not missing anything here, if i am shout...

buy 3 used 550ex (£110-120 each(or use the 580 as master) - job done...

been there done it - it works - no problem - set as manual or ettl

Do you not have to keep one on the 550ex's on the camera though sporty? Or use an ST-E2?

I'm trying to get the blasted things off! :)

Neatly negating the need for my next post. Cheers, Ali :)

I'm right miffed at the 580ex not having a PC port. Can you tell? :)

Do you not have to keep one on the 550ex's on the camera though sporty? Or use an ST-E2?

I'm trying to get the blasted things off! :)

yes and no

yes
but point the light in a different direction to the side or behind - as the system uses infrared that is separate from the flash - the flash can point anywhere you want.

no
use a remote cable hotshoe to hotshoe or pc to hotshoe and have the flash on a stand with a cable separate to the camera

OK, so all you nikon owners get to gloat right here. Nikon have got it right with their multiple flash setup, all their flashes have optical triggers, even the older SB24,26, so you pop your modern flash atop your DSLR or trigger it off camera in commander mode

am i thinking from this you at talking about using the pop up flash to trigger the flashes?

for the record i did not design the canon system and am not familiar with the Nikon system

I'm no expert on the Nikon system either sporty but as far as I can tell, the commander mode on the Nikon will trigger all the other off camera flashes so long as you have one set to the master flash. I don't think you have to use a pop up flash either.

I may be missing something here but why don't you get a set of poverty wizards from ebay (£30 for enough to trigger 3 flashes) and some old 540ezs (about £50-70 each). It won't do all the TTL stuff but if you are using multiple flashes you really want to be in manual mode anyway.

Because the 580ex (which I have already) does not have a PC port to plug a radio trigger into so I'd be down to two flashes.

And the vivitars are much more powerful than the 540.

And I do need to keep one dedicated Canon flash because I also need it to shoot ETTL for weddings.

So I really do want the best of both worlds. I want one with ETTL for when I need it but I'd also like to add the two others when I want to do some creative on location stuff. And with the 580ex that's not so easy! At least Canon have rectified it with the newer 580ex MkII, It does have the PC port and yes, the easiest way to use all three would be radio trigger.

It's the 580ex that has complicated things for me.

So hold up here, I've got a 580EXII. What's the 'best' way (I'll also accept 'cheapest') for me to take that off the camera and fire it remotely. What then is the best way to do that, AND trigger my friend's 430EX as well?

Pocketwizards etc confuse the hell out of me :(

at the mo i using sigma 500dg super off camera using a cord an bracket, plus an old nisson on a hot shoe trigger both go off at the same time

so i should/could use any flashes with more hotshoe triggers ?

With the Poverty Wizards (aka Ebay Triggers, Cactus V2) they have a hot shoe mount on the top so you just slide the flash on, no cables required. You have a trigger that sites on your camera hot shoe mount and that wirelessly fires your flashes. You just need the trigger and one receiver for each flash. I am not saying they are perfect by any means (mine dont go off about 5% of the time) and with some 430ex and 580exs can incorrectly trigger them but for a first step they are really good and would work to give you off camera flash for a low cost (cheaper than a single Canon off camera cable). I am just about to start upgrading to pocket wizards because I want more distance from my camera to flash (over 30m) and want some more stability with my 430ex.

So hold up here, I've got a 580EXII. What's the 'best' way (I'll also accept 'cheapest') for me to take that off the camera and fire it remotely. What then is the best way to do that, AND trigger my friend's 430EX as well?

Pocketwizards etc confuse the hell out of me :(

You could use a cable to your 580, set it to master and the 430 to slave and off you go. Or if you want to do it wirelessly £30 of radio triggers off ebay. The transmitter bit goes on your camera and the receivers plug into the PC ports on the flashes. Or as Blazzar has kindly pointed out some slide straight onto the receiver.

Hang on! If there are some where it slides straight onto the receiver I could use that with the 580ex MkI

Can you point me in that direction please Blazzar?

I see, so these Cactus V2s are a poor man's Pocket Wizard (good thing, I'm a poor man), and a Pocket Wizard would do the job. I took a look at the PW website and got confused by the variations on offer.

Shopping time!

Hmmmm me too I've found a set of cactus on ebay that will trigger the 580ex and the vivitars. Compatable with both. I've asked if that can do a one transmitter, three receiver package for me.

Thanks blazzar, I didn't know they could be shoe mounted!

I'll let you know.

I know it may be slightly OT and you may already know it but can I also recommend you pick up a lee filter sample pack (can get them on ebay) especially if you are doing portraiture stuff it can make a massive difference and take a look at www.strobist.com, especially the lighting 101.

I've had my head in lighting 101 this week and their flickr discussion group is really good too.

I had a play with the Vivitars at lunchtime just lighting the hallway at home and they do pack a punch! This is going to be fun. Unfortunately work is getting in the way so it will have to wait till later. Grrrrr.

I honestly didn't know you could get shoe mounted radio triggers. All the ones I've seen have been PC port. Thanks :)

I thought, perhaps foolishly, that a PC port connected you to a PC :D

Why not buy one of them hotshoe adaptors with a pc port in and mount your 580 on that:thinking:

would give you wireless firing that way

Cause I don't want any of the flashes on the camera fletch :)

See this is why Canon have cocked right up, trying to get your head round it is a blimmin' nightmare! lol.

Back