Beginner Using Raynox 250 with Nikkor 55-300 lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi friends... I m planning to buy raynox 250... I m begainer in macro photography.. Some reviews say using raynox 250 without tripod is almost impossible and for lens nikkor 55-300, raynox 250 vignettes too much around 55-200 range.... Are these facts true?? cannot i shoot raynox 250 mounted on my nikkor 55-300 lens handheld? and will the vignetting be such problem that i would regret buying this lens??.... your suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
Absolutely untrue, I used the Raynox very effectively (I think) handheld with the 70-300mm (ok, not the same lens but very similar) using just the pop up flash and a cheap diffuser. There is a big thread on here somewhere which you.ll see some very good examples of peoples photo with the Raynox. It does get pretty tricky at the longer focal lengths but like everything, with practice it gets much easier

Bee
by the milster, on Flickr

Ants Breakfast

Garden Spider

Last edited:
oowww... nice shots Milster.... much thanx...
the spider shot is par excellent.... are these all shots handheld?? is it raynox 250 or 150??

oowww... nice shots Milster.... much thanx...
the spider shot is par excellent.... are these all shots handheld?? is it raynox 250 or 150??

Yep these are all handheld, all using the 250 (although I have both) and like I say, a cheap difusser on the pop up flash (flash is pretty much a must unless the light is exceptional)

so what do you suggest direct buy raynox 250 or first i should go for raynox 150...?? i dont have much experience in macro shooting... i cannot buy both 250 and 150.. i can only buy one... i m interested in bug photography and i would really love higher magnification.... but some reviews scare me off saying u cannot handle 250... so which one do you suggest i must go for??.... sorry about my english......

Yep these are all handheld, all using the 250 (although I have both) and like I say, a cheap difusser on the pop up flash (flash is pretty much a must unless the light is exceptional)

I use the Raynox 150 and 250 (and a couple of other achromats, one less powerful than these two and one more powerful).

Sometimes I use flash, sometimes available light, and sometimes a mixture of the two. Whatever light source(s) I'm using I find it helpful to use a tripod.

Very occasionally, for example sometimes when I get out on site around dawn and the air is very still, I use a tripod in the "normal" way; I line up a shot, take my hands off the camera and use a cable release. And I may use rather long exposures, especially very early in the morning when light levels are low. This is using available light.

Usually though this isn't practical because the subject is moving around, or what it is on is moving, or it may be off at any moment and I have to be quick. I have the camera on a rather odd tripod - it has a lateral arm lets me get to odd positions - and I keep my hands on the camera. The camera isn't completely motionless because of course my hands impart motion to it, but it does damp the movement and let me use slower exposures than would otherwise be the case, so for example I can use available light for exposures of 1/10th second or so to use available light to photograph snails as they clamber around in the early morning dampness.

Even if I'm using flash I find this "hands-on" approach with the tripod useful. That is because one of the important things when using achromats, especially the more powerful ones like the 250, is to get the distance to the subject right. Also, as the magnification increases it gets more difficult to frame shots because the image is jiggling around in the viewfinder (or on the LCD in my case).

The steadiness I get when using this "hands-on" tripod approach helps me get the distance and framing right, and then I can maintain that distance and framing while I take multiple shots. Sometimes, depending on the subject, I might spend several minutes on a particular subject, and this is much more doable when the camera is supported, especially when the camera is in a position and pointing in a direction that would be more or less impossible to maintain without some support. As well as making it easier to get sequences of shots of the same scene, such as this.

0366 50 2011_06_30 IMG_8252 PS1 CrDf7x30LebSaCuExShadCu900hSS44x0.3
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0366 51 2011_06_30 IMG_8269 PS1 CrDf7x30LebSaCuExShadSelNoLu55Cu900hSS65x0.3

0366 52 2011_06_30 IMG_8274 PS1a CrDf7x30LebSaCuExShadCuSelNoLu53 900hSS67x0.3

It also makes it easier to get sequences of shots of different magnification/framing without moving the camera ...

0459 13 2012_10_29 P1710921-Edit

0459 14 2012_10_29 P1710930-Edit PSS2.200

... or capture the same scene with different apertures to get different effects.

0459 15 2012_10_29 P1710933-Edit PSS2.50

0459 16 2012_10_29 P1710935-Edit

As it happens, all these used available light. The exposures were moderately slow, 1/60 sec for the ladybird and 1/40 and 1/50 for three of the cricket shots. I don't think that would have been practical hand-held. (Incidentally, I had to use ISO 800 for the cricket shots even to get exposures that fast.)

The hands-on tripod approach lets me use slower exposures than this. For example, this one was 1/3 sec.

0368 06 2011_07_01 2011_07_01 IMG_8420 PS1 CrShadDf7x30LebSaCuEx900hSS72x0.3

By the way, these are just shots I pulled out of my archives to illustrate the points I wanted to make. I now realise that probably all of these shots were captured with something less powerful than the Raynox 250. Either a Raynox 150 or very likely a Canon 500D. But I use the same techniques at higher magnification with the 250, and the even more powerful Raynox MSN-202. The higher the magnification, the more likely I am to use flash (but I also quite often use flash at lower magnifications).

Back