Answered Using TP with Safari browser

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
No
TP's forum software is very helpful in that, if I click on a link to an existing thread with one or more new comments, it takes me to the first new comment. Or, at least, I think it's supposed to, and it certainly did so in Firefox, last time I used it.

But in Safari, whether on my iPhone, iPad, or MacBook, it seems to start doing that but then gets lost somewhere down the page. So I go to the top of the page and click/tap on the Jump to New button. It might then take me to the first new comment, or it might get lost again. Some times I've gone to the top and clicked Jump to New five times before it gets it right.

There are two facts that might come into play here. The first is the timing. If a page fetch is executed but doesn't wait long enough to do a page display (I assume that's how it works, but I haven't programmed web stuff) then the display might start with a comment that's too far up the page.

The second thing relates to iPhone and iOS only, in that if I long press to open the link in a new tab (which is what I mostly tend to do), Safari pops up a prefetch image of the page so I can decide whether to continue with loading the page or abandoning it. So the forum software could be interpreting this as a full page fetch. But if that were the case, presumably the page would be marked as read and the Jump to New button would disappear.

In short, I'm baffled as to why I get this behaviour. Has anyone else reported seeing this?

I only use TP on iPad in Safari. I think the jump to new or worked perfectly some time ago (a year? 2 years?). But less so now. I think jump to new from the link at the top of the page still works OK for me but if I click on the notifications (bell icon) in a page of comments it seems to quickly go to the relevant comment but the flashes past and back, so that the wanted comment is now off screen and I think always “below” where the page has settled.

Thets probably all a bit vague but it’s hard to describe and doesn’t seem to be consistent. Maybe it works better in pages of images like the funnies thread.

That's just what I sometimes get when I click on Jump to New - going briefly to the first new comment then going back to somewhere else. But I'd rather it jumped to the first new comment in the post after I click the post title in a forum's thread list.

I've just tried the iPad version of Firefox on one of my Watched threads, and it did the same as Safari. I clicked the title of the thread 'Boats - an open thread' and it jumped to the middle of comment #803, two comments above the first new post. So it's not just Safari. Which makes me think it could be the forum software causing this behaviour.

That's just what I sometimes get when I click on Jump to New - going briefly to the first new comment then going back to somewhere else. But I'd rather it jumped to the first new comment in the post after I click the post title in a forum's thread list.

I've just tried the iPad version of Firefox on one of my Watched threads, and it did the same as Safari. I clicked the title of the thread 'Boats - an open thread' and it jumped to the middle of comment #803, two comments above the first new post. So it's not just Safari. Which makes me think it could be the forum software causing this behaviour.

Yas, I think I tried it in Firefox & Chrome when it first went wrong without success but I can’t definitely remember, It’s not convenient for me not to use Safari anyway so may not have tried hard enough. I don’t know the current situation but originally Apple only allowed Safari on iOS and the others were versions based on Safari so likely to have the same benefits & problems.

I'm using Safari on a MacBook Pro and the first new post appears at the top of the page. The same happens if I click on Jump to New.

I'm using Safari on a MacBook Pro and the first new post appears at the top of the page. The same happens if I click on Jump to New.

Interesting, thanks. It used to be that way on my MacBook Pro, too. I first noticed the problem quite a while ago on my iPad, then later on my iPhone, and only more recently on the MBP. Seems to be a progressive disease. If Richard hadn't also had the problem, I'd suspect my system.

EDIT
I thought I might have found some light at the end of the tunnel. In Safari on my MBP I logged out of TP, closed Safari, reopened it, and logged in again. Clicking on about four of my Watched threads took me to the first new comment straight away. Yes, I probably should have tried this before. However, I did the same on my iPad, logging out, force-closing Safari, logging back in, and clicking on my remaining unseen Watched post, it stopped some way up the thread from the newest comment. So no change there.

Later on, on the iPad, I'll long-press a Watched thread then wait until the preview pane stops loading, and see if that makes a difference. It hasn't in the past, but maybe logging out and back in could have changed something.

Last edited:
. Seems to be a progressive disease. If Richard hadn't also had the problem, I'd suspect my system.

I felt it could be my system as although it happened on two iPads (Air3 & Pro 10.5] each had some other problems that made them suspect. The Air 3 display has since failed semi-permanently and I’ve no got the iPad Air 2022 but TP on Safari behaves the same way.

EDIT
Watched post, it stopped some way up the thread from the newest comment. So no change there.
Yes, that’s what I see.

This does seem to be something that happens occasionally, it happens in Opera sometimes,
but never in Fire fox. ( windows PC )

I know Chris @sirch was looking at it, but I'm not sure how far he got / is getting.

I seem to recall that some people found clearing cookies helped but that can lose other valuable information and mean logging into lots of sites again. I also think that this sometimes happens in threads with lots of photos, I suspect the browser goes to the correct place on the page before all the images have loaded, the images then load and this makes the page longer so the post you were at gets pushed down the page.

Not a lot we can do about it unfortunately.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that some people found clearing cookies helped but that can lose other valuable information and mean logging into lots of sites again. I also think that this sometimes happens in threads with lots of photos, I suspect the browser goes to the correct place on the page before all the images have loaded, the images then load and this makes the page longer so the post you were at gets pushed down the page.

Not a lot we can do about it unfortunately.
Tried all that, cookies, web data, reboots etc makes no difference. I actually think it’s better in image threads than otherwise. Eg Funnies seem to work whereas current Political or War threads don’t.

Back