USM vs STM

Name
Stella
Edit My Images
No
I'm about to buy my first additional lens & was hoping for some guidance on which to get. I do mainly portrait photography, in a makeshift home studio, occasionally on location. I'm going to be doing a practice shoot next week with a preschool class. So lots of individuals then a few group shots.

My Canon 700D has the standard 18-55mm lens. I'm looking at a prime lens. After lots of research, I'm now looking between the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. So the main difference, which I've gathered is that the USM is faster, bigger, noisier and more pricey. The price difference between the 2 is £158. My question is, is it worth it? I'm happy to pay the extra, but I just want to be sure I get the right lens for what I need.

I'm currently, due to toddlers at home, still in the process of learning, slowly building my portfolio & acquiring equipment. I'm about a year away from being able to officially look for paying clients. Right now doing lots of practice shoots & a few paying jobs in the next 6 months have potentially arisen. So I do need something that will help me be a better studio photographer.

Thank you in advance for any help!

The EF50/1.4 was my go-to lens for many years back when I shot Canon (5D2) - I must have used it for 95% of what I shot.

I would guess the STM version is generally 'better' though :)

Optically the 50 1.8 STM is a lot better. It does need stopping down some. On 5Ds it was around f/5.6 for optimal and pretty great results. The 1.4 is really not that great, but you could always do worse still. My recommendation would be Sigma ART 50mm or 40mm if you can spare extra expense.

STM motor is pretty poor. it is quite slow and not very accurate. Focus by wire in its early form... USM or Sigma's HSM equivalent is a lot better motor. The problem here is the canon 1.4 does NOT have that proper motor, but an absolute abomination that is prone to failure and all that. So definitely avoid ancient canon 1.4 and choose between 1.8 or Sigma depending on the budget.

18-55 can definitely go. It just takes up useful space in the bag.

Some of my favourite photos were taken with the Canon 50mm f1.4, however, it wasn't the best lens with regards to autofocus, and that was when the autofocus was working... I think the autofocus on mine died a few times over the years. FWIW I was mainly using it on 1.3x crop or full frame. I much prefer a wider lens on a cropped sensor, say 35mm, especially for shooting indoors. What dort of focal length do you find yourself using most on your 18-55 lens?

Owen by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

The 50mm USM isn’t a proper USM motor, it’s based on the pre af 1.4 design and is genuinely an ancient lens.

The 50mm stm is superior in every way (except at 1.4)

However the Sigma Art 50 is the best bang for buck 50mm for canon.

However; as a people photographer I almost never used my 50mm when I shot crop. Too long for general use, not long enough as a portrait lens.

The canon 85 1.8 is bloody brilliant vfm, also the sigma 35mm Art is a great lens.

The 50mm STM is sharper (by test results, not what I have noticed, as I don't have both) and has a metal mount, and I'm told is more reliable.

The 1.4 to my mind is not worth the extra cost, and it seems it is not reliable from what people say.
Seems it has a similar reputation on here as well, which says a lot!.

Back