UV filter dilemma on L glass

Edit My Images
Yes
Having just ordered a 70-200L IS lens i`m wondering about what to stick on the end for protection.
I`ve read many opposing views on this and as its my first decent bit of glass, i could do with a nudge in the right direction :)

Many people seem to say why put inferior optics on the end of a high quality lens and the hood provides adequate protection. Whereas others will not so much as move the lens without sticking on a filter of some description.

I must admit, i think i`d feel better with something on and have had a quick look around for uv filters but the prices seem to vary quite considerably for the higher quality ones.

So what do you guys use and where would you suggest buying them from ?

I`ve had a quick look through the WEX site but there are loads and as i mentioned, the prices vary quite a lot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

if u want to put anything in front of L make sure it's the best
such a shame to degrade for want of a few £££
Hoya super hmc pro-1 or whatever they're called this week are the way to go

To be honest I think it comes down to personal preference.

I wouldn't go out without a filter on front of the lens, mainly due to what I mainly shoot. Beyond that I've tried both expensive and cheapo UV's, I can't really tell the difference :shrug:

Logic would say though that, if you're going to use one, the higher the quality of the filter the better the quality of the image.

I'm looking at filters at the mo too. UV is the one to go for if you just want to protect.
Here's my findings.
Honk Kong is by far the cheapest! Search on the .bay and you'll find them at about half of UK prices.
Hoya seem to have cornered the market in terms of market presence and they are pushing a new Pro1-D version, apparently optimised for digital sensors. Above all, make sure you choose a multi-coated version, preferably coated on both sides to minimise reflections coming back off the sensor. Not the elcheapo plain glass.
As for can we actually tell the difference? Anyones guess there. I'd love to see a full on test between leading brands and no names...anyone:D

As I've posted elsewhere on the forums, Hoya do an optically neutral filter in the hmc pro range specifically to protect lenses, it has no affect on the image at all. It's the best option for you I reckon.

If you want the best, since you bought the best lenses, try B & W MRC UV (0). Costs about £30 for a 77mm.:)

Stops you having to clean dust from the front element
Stops the front element from being scratched/damaged
Helps to preserve filter threads from damage
I'd put a cheap one on before I went out with nothing.
Replace filter = yes
Replace lens = *shudder*:shake:

I use B & W MRC UV on myself, but the top of the Hoya range would be ok too. As said above don't spoil your lens IQ by saving a few pennys on the filter

I used to use skylight 1b for film but understand that is no longer necessary with digital white balance control.

so which is better, a clear protection or a UV?

I Dont use any unless its ****ing it down or their is lots of bits flying about.

if the lens gets damaged, the insurance pays for a new one, if they wont pay, get better insurance, its what you pay for.

I have a B+W 77 010 UV - Haze 1x MRC on my 70-200mm L 2.8 IS

and I can't tell the difference when it's fitted and when it's not!

But that goes for nothing!

I have a 70-200 F4L and I keep a UV on the front as I shoot a bit of Motocross and with bits flying towards me all the time I would hate to have the front cracked for the sake of a few quid as said above.......

all my len's have filters on , I shoot pics with and without to see if there is much difference and to my untrained eye there isn't. yes it has to be a good filter but then again if you are going to spend £100's on L glass a bit on a filter is nothing

I use one of the Hoya PRO1D's on the 24 -105L and the Tokina 17mm, which i think are the ones steep mentioned above. No noticeable change in image quality to be honest.

http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/lst190.htm

As long as its

1. clean
2. flat

who cares? I've never noticed a difference between using / not using wrt IQ :shrug:

maybe i'm just not observant enough :LOL:

Here is my opinion.

My 70-200 is my most expensive lens by far BUT all my lenses have UVs on them.

The uv degradation to images without them is practically non-existent since photoshop and raw files.

I use them for protection on my lenses. Yes my lenses (and all my kit for that matter) are insured but accidents do not wear watches and so they do not respect the hours of the job you are on.

Do be sure to buy the best ones you can find (Hoya(y)) and make sure that they are clean and optically pure.

HTH

Got a Hoya Pro1 DMC UV on both my Canon 70-200 and Sigma 17-70

I tend to agree that we need to protect our pride and joy`s. I was just interested as there are many who seem to prefer not to :thinking:

Anyway, looks like i`ll be getting either a hoya or b&w. Seems like thievingscallyscumbay are about the cheapest if i buy from HK :)

I will always buy a new UV filter (Hoya) when buying a new lens, it goes on as soon as the lens is out of the box and never comes off (except for a clean every now and again)

If you are going to spend upwards of £300 on a lens, an extra £20/30 to ensure its front element remains immaculate isnt that much of a price to pay.

I will always buy a new UV filter (Hoya) when buying a new lens, it goes on as soon as the lens is out of the box and never comes off (except for a clean every now and again)

If you are going to spend upwards of £300 on a lens, an extra £20/30 to ensure its front element remains immaculate isnt that much of a price to pay.

:agree::agree::agree:

Nice find Frank, cheers m8y

Managed to find the 77mm from that link. That will do me nicely for that price!

I use hoya on my L lens and if anyone says there is a diffence (with/without) they are telling porkies.

I smashed the filter once but luckly didnt harm the lens, good job as i was in the middle of nowhere.

Why don't you pm Kerso and ask him to quote a price. He supplied one for me Hoya HQ UV one for my 70-200mm only last week. Much less than that one on Amazon. I received it next day.

Why don't you pm Kerso and ask him to quote a price. He supplied one for me Hoya HQ UV one for my 70-200mm only last week. Much less than that one on Amazon. I received it next day.

Doh its Kerso ive ordered all my gear from and it wont be posted till next week so why oh why didnt i think of that lol ?

Cheers :)

Siox

Can you post here how much Kerso offers them for as I am on the lookout and need to save some pennies (keep buying lenses!)

I love the irony of protection filters...avoid the cheap ones - pay some serious money and you might not even see any difference!

I just sent a pm to him about 20 mins ago about the hoya uv, I don't know how long he usually takes to reply cos I've never used him before but I'll post the price

the UV that kerso supplied me with for the 70-200F4L was just a standard hoya HQ one. When it arrived the spring steel circlip on the inside of the filter glass was not fully engaged in the groove so would have stuck down into the lens, it clipped up into place easily but I dont really trust them now, that's why I need to get a decent quality one.

I was thinking of looking for a Kenko Pro1Digital (pro1D) protector as somebody mentioned a while back they are the japanese home market label for Hoya, which are actually made by Tokina, and the Kenko brand has a cheaper price tag in the UK.
I've already noted that the MC Digital range by Kenko is is not the same as the pro1D filters

I cant really see the construction of the filters on the internet, anybody know of filters that are not held in by sharp edged spring steel circlips?

I cant really see the construction of the filters on the internet, anybody know of filters that are not held in by sharp edged spring steel circlips?

I didn't know any where. But the B&W ones I use certainly arn't. They are made from brass to stop filters fusing to the lens, or to each other. The glass is also loosely sandwiched between the brass rings to stop it flexing and warping during temperature changes. They fit on with a standard screw fit. Thoroughly recommend them, and if possible all my future filters will be B&W. :)

on these HQ hoyas the filter glass is held into a groove on the inside of the screw on collar by a spring steel split ring, on the rear side of the glass.

Back