Variable DoF Measures on Fuji XE2

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Morning all,

I was out on a shoot yesterday and noticed some odd (??) behaviour on my Fuij XE2. One of the custom options you can add to the EVF/LCD is the DoF calculation .. i.e it tries to show you the DoF measure on a horizontal bar at the bottom. I noticed yesterday that placing the same focal point at the same area with the same settings (10mm, f11 for example) the graph would vary at times from say 10foot --> infinity ... to say 5foot --> infinity ... (you get a new reading every time you half depress the shutter) ... With the same settings I can only assume it was actually picking up a slightly different area in the focus point (although I have the focus set to the smallest square size so not much room to roam)

Now I try and rely solely on this measure, instead going back to DoF / Hyperfocal basics ... but was intrigued to know if anyone else with a Fuji had seen similar variance in the DoF calculations ...

Now this isn't a discussion on DoF / Sharpness itself (very subjective) ..rather the behaviour of the DoF tool on the fuji :)
cheers,

Nige

The Fuji DOF scale is very conservative.

Back