Varnish on Canvas's ??

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I used a new printing company last week to get a canvas Printed and customer was happy with the Quality. However I thought it looked as though it was un-treated a little too Matte. Also the canvas was very soft? Most of the canvases I have had done seem as though the canvas has stiffened since printing somewhat..

Now comes the Important part, He needed it to give to his girlfriend at her party today so sending it back was not an option, to him anyway! Low and behold the worst possible scenario, One of his kids flicked water onto the canvas and a drop splashed onto the focal point of all places!! He calmly placed it onto some kitchen towel and placed a book on top to soak it up. But there was a water mark and when he gently wiped it the ink smeared across the canvas!

Now I know they are not water proof But surely they should withstand a tiny drop of water carefully removed straight away???

This was not a cheap printers either it was one recommended on here recently.

What do you think??

probably just had a protective spray rather than a varnish. water will soak into a lot of matt papers/canvas due to the nature of the material.

out of interest who was the printer

I've used Humbrol crystal clear acrylic on canvas before and its pretty good stuff. Makes it water resistant, won't yellow and doesn't add a sheen or anything.

Hi there

This is because the print was unsealed. It was printed using a DYE printer rather than a solvent or latex printer.

Dye prints should usually be sealed, you would have to specify this tho. The good thing about seals is there are many different types and textures.

Solvent prints come waterproof, but sometimes lack quality.

Latex prints are the best as they keep the quality and are waterproof.

I don't believe in spray seals as they protect prints slightly but don't stop colour fade in the long run.

Please note some canvas materials can't be sealed at all, so this may be what has been used.

Hope this helps

The boss and I used to use a giclee laquer/varnish for finishing the canvas' we sold

Back