Varosha - Cyprus

Nicely documented, but yes,
very sad to see :(

Very sad. You wonder who does the vandalising (at least I do), given it's not likely to be displaced Greek Cypriots (or is it?)

Strange to think a no mans land exists between the two halves of the island. I hadn't thought about it really.

Very sad. You wonder who does the vandalising (at least I do), given it's not likely to be displaced Greek Cypriots (or is it?)
I doubt it, my friend's parents lost everything in this and have been back once since the invasion.

Evocative pictures for me. I spent 2+ years living in Famagusta / Varosha between 1971 - 1974. My daughter was born in the British Military Hospital in Dhekelia and we left the island a week or so before the Turkish invasion. Varosha was the ' jewel in the crown ' of the island and I had a great time. I have visited once since and then as with your pictures now I find it so very sad.

Ben Fogle did a lost worlds program on this, very interesting. In some places the NML is proper walls and fences, yet IIRC out in the country side, there were almost no barriers.

There is such a difference passing through the checkpoint in Nicosia - on the Cypriot side you were walking down a busy highstreet with a Debenhams etc (at least when I visited), and you go through a military checkpoint, then it is completely different and it feels like you are in a middle eastern city.

Hi all,

Recently spent a few hours in the Ghost Town of Varosha. Really sad to still see no solution to the problems here.
Steve, is Varosha open for anyone to walk around now ?

Very sad and evocative. I did the border crossing in Nicosia and the occupied side was a cultural shock! The gothic church turned into a mosque and the hane were very impressive though. Nicosia is the last divided capital..:(

Been some time since I've seen pictures, but yes, it's hard to imagine(as an outsider)
how this area has been such an inactive zone for many decades.

I thank you for the pictures, Steve!

Back