Velbon Ultra Luxi

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone use a Velbon Ultra Luxi F or L? are they sturdyish? can the head be removed? I want to put a manfrotto ball head on it.

I'm after a lightweight tripod that folds down really small (40cm size) for hiking and travelling. My tripod is really heavy and a pain to lug around at times. Prefer tripods to monopods.

I don't have the Luxi, but I do have the Maxi F, for what it's worth. I used it while travelling around southern Japan a few months back. The weight (or lack of it) was a real bonus. However, although the tripod itself was sturdy enough, I found the head to be lacking. I was finding that it was very difficult to get an exact composition due to slack in the fitting. Still, given that the trip involved quite a bit of walking, I believe that on average, it performed pretty well.

I'm not sure if the Luxi has the same tripod leg fitting mechanism as the Maxi...if so, I should point out that this wasn't too great either. Often I'd set up the tripod only to find that one of the leg joints hadn't locked into place - resulting in one of the legs sinking slowly just as I was composing a shot.

I have a maxi e, the head is not interchangeable which is my only misgiving with that particular model as I think I would rather have a ball rather than pan and tilt head. I really like it's light weight, I once went scrambling accidentally for a good part of a day with a tripod, its size and weight was not a hindrance at all. Mine is 1.1kg and folds to about 45cm compared to the Ultra Luxi F 1.32 kg and 39cm. As to to whether they are sturdy, they are sturdy enough for me but then again I haven't used it in adverse conditions.

I use a ultra maxi sf, and its a great little tripod, supports my nikon d80 with a 300mm prime ok, The height is an issue, but the weight and ease of use are superb in my opinion.

Dean

I have the Velbon Ultra Luxi F. It's perfect for me. I don't often need a tripod but it has delivered when I do. It's taken my 30D with a 100-400 L IS without issue (although it was in a light breeze so maybe not an exclusive test).

Cheers Gord, good to know it can handle the weight ok, It will mainly have the 350 and 17-40 on which is much lighter. Think I will just go for it.

Back