Very first Digital SLR

S

Slvrbck

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Hi all,
So I am just a tad happy at the moment (as you can guess from all the claps).
I have just got my first digital SLR.
I went for the Canon 350D for 2 reasons:
1 - Feedback from a few of you folks advised that it was a good starter DSLR.
2 - Cheap as chips... A mate of mine let me have it for £180 with a kit lens, 4gig CF card and what I assume to be a budget tripod.

So, quickly on to asking for another favour....
When I was shopping for my cam I had set a budget of about £300, so now I have a few quid spare.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend and essential accessories that I should get?

Cheers for your help (again)

I loved that same feeling a few months ago. you're in the right place to help you learn quick. TP has been great getting me up to speed.

120 quid to burn ay! Not really an accessory but do you have good editing software? half the fun for me has been getting my head around post processing tricks. I don't have the dosh for photoshop but reckon spending 50-80 on something like elements or paint shop pro is well worth it.

looking forward to seeing what you produce!

Thanks for the fast replies all....

Filter to protect that lens if it hasn’t got one, second lens

A friend was saying they keep a UV filter on all the time just to look after the lens?

120 quid to burn ay! Not really an accessory but do you have good editing software?

Yer I love this community Ted, some great togs have given me some great advice so far... I have been doing web design for a few years now so I already have PS CS2

circular polariser, rocket blower, decent camera bag?

Ok, cheers for the advice... Being a noob I have no idea what a circular plariser or a rocket blower so I will get myself over to Google now... Camera bag is a good idea

I would say camera bag or what about a longer focal range lens such asthe the sigma 70-300mm APO (£130 I think) or non APO ( £90) or maybe a nifty fifty anon 50mm F1.8 for £57

Tripod, tripod, tripod.

And if you can manage it... a tripod! ;)

Tripod, tripod, tripod.

And if you can manage it... a tripod! ;)

well thats £10 out of his budget :p

Congrats on the purchase :) I would get a nifty fifty maybe? or a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro?

Ok, so after some more awsome advice I have had a look into the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, mostly because of the style of photography I'm enjoying at the moment.

I have had a look at a couple of reviews and stumbled accross a fairly even argument for the Canon 75 - 300 USM over the Sigma?

Had a quick look on e-bay and the Canon is around £120 and the Sigma at £110 (£90 if I grab one in the next 3 hours)

haha.. I just got the 350D too!!
Lovely little camera.
i would suggest getting a sigma 70-300mm... as soon as u attach it you feel like a pro lol.
Only £89 on ebay :)

Back