Very low light football

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
These where taken last night (thu 13th dec 07) Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Womens premiership. Played at Clitheroe FC in very poor lighting.. Shot in raw. Noise ninja set to 4 then batch convert to JPG using BibblePro which also does auto corrections :) ... dust and scratch in PS to clean up and smart sharp if appropriate.

All pics in the 58 I got will print as seen to 7x5 and maybe a couple larger. But for extreme lighting conditions I am happy with a complete 7x5 set

f2.8
iso 1600
shutter speed 200 (who needs a fast shutter eh? :) )

canon 1dmkII + sigma 120-300

bvl1.jpg

bvl2.jpg

bvl3.jpg

bvl4.jpg

bvl5.jpg

Lovely clear shots for a sporting event like that.

Not too sure about Santas Mrs though...

Cheers.. Grimsby eh? I have Grimsby v Accrington Stanley to photograph on Boxing day .. summat to look forward to eh ... Is Grimsby a fun place on Boxing day? :)

Grimsby isnt a fun place anyday lol.

But saying that, Boxing Day, hmmm im sure it will be for me when the pub opens its doors at 12. :)

hi guys,newbie to site.a couple of questions if u please,i have a d80 with a sigma 70-200 f2.8 apo.for football purposes.first question my night attempts are crap,iso 640 gives me 1/250 on my monopod,just about ok,nowhere near the quality of the previous images on this site.i'm i right in thinking that i have to up the iso a lot to get a better result?second question,how do you guys get touchline passes at fa games when the best i can blag is ryman league?

f2.8 apo.for football purposes.first question my night attempts are crap,iso 640 gives me 1/250 on my monopod,just about ok,nowhere near the quality of the previous images on this site.i'm i right in thinking that i have to up the iso a lot to get a better result

You kinda answered your own question. Theres only the aparture, shutter speed and iso you can change. you already have f2.8 so can't better that with your lens. your at the limit with 250 shutter speed and don't want to go much lower... so the only thing left is upping the iso.. I use iso 1600for a night match.

I normally shoot jpg but anyhting over iso 800 i shoot raw so i can use noise ninja and reduce noise before converting to jpg.

You need to fill your frame for night time football.. no point with distance shots.. the closer the better.

under exposing with high iso just gives even more noise.

thanks for the reply kipax,on boxing day i went and used the lens at normal iso 100/200 640/800 and it was goodish.i dropped the camera and lens on the terrace and cracked the glass,can't put the lens cap back on.i gives me an excuse to buy the new 70-200 vr.by all accounts the d80 is better between iso 800-1600 than most without too much noise.as far as raw is concerned.i have shot in raw and downloaded direct to elements 5 and sofar haven't been able to find the images afterwards,i'm not sure the software has a converter.regards clark.

Back