Very strange

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Processed a film this afternoon that had this frame, it is footsteps in the sand and the evening sun was very low giving nice contrast to the footprints. Looking at this scan the footprints look to me like they are raised rather than indented, any ideas what is going on, I might try to rescan this tomorrow. I've tried flipping it etc. its almost as though it was scanned as a positive not a negative but the other frames on the same strip scanned fine.

Estuary13.jpg

Processed a film this afternoon that had this frame, it is footsteps in the sand and the evening sun was very low giving nice contrast to the footprints. Looking at this scan the footprints look to me like they are raised rather than indented, any ideas what is going on, I might try to rescan this tomorrow. I've tried flipping it etc. its almost as though it was scanned as a positive not a negative but the other frames on the same strip scanned fine.

I was just about to say I couldn't see it, until I hit the quote button and blammo, totally get it. I agree with Simon, though, I don't think its a scanning issue or anything like that

To me they look indented....weird.

They look raised to me too, but presumably an optical illusion?

Even more weirdly, this morning in natural light they look raised....

Foot prints always look raised to me...one of those optical illisions seen on the net to fool the brain.

Well I had a good go at rescanning it and can't get anything better, when I look at a thumbnail of it it looks OK but anything larger and it is inverted for me.

First time I looked at it I saw raised (certainly in the foreground). Going back to it, they are all indented. The human brain is a strange and mysterious thing...

Concave, convex, I’m unsure but as an image I like it;)

First time I looked at it I saw raised (certainly in the foreground). Going back to it, they are all indented. The human brain is a strange and mysterious thing...

According to this article https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-would-footprints-sand-appear-raised it is all down to "our brains having a bias toward top down illumination which means that the brain tends to assume light is coming from above. This bias is so strong that it often competes and overcomes the clues our vision is giving us about relative depths. So when light comes from a slightly different angle, in the case of the footprints in low sun, our brain tries to tell us they're convex instead of concave."

However, it’s too late for my brain to cope with all this and now I don know what it is I'm seeing!

Like a dog with a bone...

I thought I'd "scan" it with a camera rather than the scanner to see if it was better and yes, quite a bit better. I think the scanner is fairly poor at low contrast negs, still probably wasn't worth the effort after all.

DSC05653.jpg

Back