Vibration Reduction

VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection, as well as automatic tripod detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle - from the web

Active VR attempts to remove both up and down as well as side-to-side movement, whereas Normal just removes the side-to-side type. This means that for, say, motorsport, you use Normal, as the lens will interpret the lateral movement of panning as a fault and try to correct it.

Active VR is handy for something like shooting from a moving vehicle, where there would be both types of movement being imposed on the lens

I think we all agree on that then:)

[sarcasm]There's a very useful piece of paper in the box of almost all photo equipment and it should be read by all before coming here and asking questions to which it holds the answers. RTFM![/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]There's a very useful piece of paper in the box of almost all photo equipment and it should be read by all before coming here and asking questions to which it holds the answers. RTFM![/sarcasm]

LOL that's how I learnt when to use VR!

Active VR attempts to remove both up and down as well as side-to-side movement, whereas Normal just removes the side-to-side type.
So for normal use (ie not panning) you don't want to use Normal Mode.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Nikon's warped marketing genius strikes again.

VR will work happily in one plane on "normal" - but your panning shots still won't work if there is a bump in the road! If your subject moves up and down (like hitting a bump) you can get away it sometimes, but mostly you will still get a dodgy camera shake result.

I can't find out when ACTIVE works - even shooting powerboats from boat to boat I find VR cannot sort it out - so I just go back to pre VR days and shoot as I always have with it turned off, and get much better results! Hanging out of a heli-co-peter though, that is when VR comes into its own and ACTIVE VR does work - but then so does a faster shutter speed, and if the chopper is doing something like 100 knots you still get movement in the water.

banging about on one of the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes boats this Friday and Saturday for Raymarine (Marine electronics firm).....no doubt there will be an insurance claim going in for one battered D3 ! Hopefully there will not be a battered lensflare....back support and knee straps will be order of the day. 200 miles of battering.....hmm.... why do we do it?

Back