Vicar's Close, Wells.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Had the opportunity to visit Wells this morning so grabbed the opportunity to take a few shots ... Vicar's Close, showing Wells Cathedral in the background.
Harsh light but still worth posting I think :)

Which do you prefer?
What would you do to improve it?

Original
RJB_0215-1_zps4b36731f.jpg

HDR

Vicar's Close, Wells. by photogramps, on Flickr

Mono
RJB_0215-2_zps1ea0d987.jpg

D800
Nikon 24 f1.4
1/400
f8
ISO 200

Thanks Carl, I'll give it a boost and see what I think :)

Really like Number 2 gramps...beautiful buildings!

Thanks Martyn, the tranquility of the setting was broken by violin practice from one of the houses ... I assume a school music block!

Making me want to go back there for another visit:) Nice shots..

Thanks, I didn't have time to do the Bishop's Palace or the Cathedral this visit so I'll be going back too - maybe a meet in the making :D

[/QUOTE]Thanks, I didn't have time to do the Bishop's Palace or the Cathedral this visit so I'll be going back too - maybe a meet in the making :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan:) There was a pub there that was an old jail house which is ironic as I work in Parkhurst! that did the most wonderful food. Can't remember it's name for love nor money but I would certainly go back there again.

Last edited:
Not overly impressed with no2 sorry the HDR has spoiled the sky imo. The redone B&W is the best of the bunch for me (y)

Steve

Not overly impressed with no2 sorry the HDR has spoiled the sky imo. The redone B&W is the best of the bunch for me (y)

Steve

Thanks for the comments Steve, appreciate your thoughts, I'll take a look at adjusting the sky.

# 1for me please Gramps I really like it. Maybe you could clone out the tiny figure in the background? Or maybe fade from b+W on one side to colour on the other? (Trying to acheive an impression of old and new in the same photograph?) Just an idea.

No1 for me Gramps. Not keen on No2 and I don't think the scene lends itself to B&W

# 1for me please Gramps I really like it. Maybe you could clone out the tiny figure in the background? Or maybe fade from b+W on one side to colour on the other? (Trying to acheive an impression of old and new in the same photograph?) Just an idea.

No1 for me Gramps. Not keen on No2 and I don't think the scene lends itself to B&W

Thanks guys, an interesting cross-section of opinions on these ... here's another from the other end of the Close, again HDR experiment.

Vicar's Close, Wells. by photogramps, on Flickr

The HDR versions have better detail in the stonework so I prefer those. Maybe worth trying a mono version of the HDR shots?

I like the colour and detail in the stonework that the HDR produces but it also loses something from the image ... I would like to be able to have the HDR in the stonework but more natural sky, but my ability isn't up to it yet :shrug:

I suppose the fact that it is a one image HDR is working against it and next time I go I need the tripod and bracketing to give it another go but in Photomatix.

Just looked at this thread following a link in another one - definitely number 1 for me.

I didn't know 2 was HDR till I read through the thread .

But the more I see of HDR the more it seems to me to be overdone. Seems a bit like repointing a crack in a hjouse wall with bright shiny mortar - it just draws attention to itself rather than just doing its job (whatever that is:))

Not really sure then whether you liked them or not :thinking:

Not really sure then whether you liked them or not :thinking:

I like 1 and the B&W.

I would have preferred the end of the street off-centre but that is my preference.

Back