Review Video Editing - Colour Correction Feedback Required

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all.

Last week I thought I'd have a try at editing some RAW video footage (after a lot of research on what effects to add in Premiere Pro)

So, I shot a quick click from my office window on my GoPro Hero 4 Black, Filmed in 2.7k @ 30fps, ProTune on, Flat Colour, Native WB, Low Sharpness, and then edited myself in Premiere Pro CC.

As I say, I have done some research on Colour Correcting, and which effects to use in Adobe Premiere Pro CC, (Three 3 Colour Corrector, RBG, RGB Curves etc). In the end I set Lumetri colour, and played from there. I must say, it was very much like Lightroom for RAW photos. With the Lumetri window, you have a selection of "LUTs" (essentially pre-sets for those who are wondering), but I didn't use any, and went straight from RAW.

I then Exported to a 1080p, H.264 format, and Medium BitRate (usually I set a custom BitRate for YouTube). VBR, 1 Pass, target 3Mbps - I usually set to VBR, 2 Passes with a 20Mbps target

Comments and Constructive Critique Welcome

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgjHS8JJlGA

I find the GoPro Native WB setting is very hard to correct, much happier with it set on 5600

So, someone asked me to compare a colour corrected "flat" video against a video shot in "auto" mode, this is what we have

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFR7gynyQX8

IMO, unless you have a need to edit and get a certain feel and style, I would probably stick to shooting in Auto. Plus it saves a lot of time in post editing.

I next need to try and edit a full "auto" video and see what "flexibility" there is in terms of adjustments, without losing quality

Last edited:
Interesting comparison, imho there is a fag paper between auto and adobe, the auto just edges it for me,
Look forward to your auto test to see what you can pump out of auto.
Have you done anything with Gopro studio?

My laptop isn't 64bit so can't run it....

I dare say, if I'd spent a touch more time, and went into RGB levels, I could have matched the Auto...

I've got more footage from the weekend. Hardwick Ponds in flat colour mode, Native WB etc, and a run I went for yesterday, with the GoPro on a G4S and that was shot in Auto....

The white point is off by quite a way, which suggests you either need to calibrate your monitor or check your viewing conditions.

Back