Video noob - questions.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't even thought about video since I used an early B&W Sony video camera in the early seventies when I would be connected by umbilical to a colleague who was carrying the battery pack. But I'm about to go on a decent holiday for the first time in ages and have been considering acquiring a video camera.

My main question revolves around resolution. I did recently visit a local store and asked the in-store dork about the resolution capabilities of the various cameras on display as very few information cards gave this information. He shrugged his shoulders and muttered something about the resolution only mattering if I was to take still shots with them :bonk:

So, can anyone help me here? Is there a decent online resource which can give meaningful comparisons between current models. I think I want to go with a 'name' - probably Canon. I think I want a DVD recorder cam. Other than that, I want something half decent so I don't have the urge to upgrade next year.

How important is the resolution (MPs) figures with video?

absolutely no idea Blue, sorry fella!

I sort of have the answer...Lemme google a bit before I answer :D

Steer well clear of DVD camcorders - moving about when filming can cause the laser to skip, MiniDV is by far the better format for recording onto. Firewire is also very useful, as is AV input so you can record from an external source.

As with point and shoot cameras, ignore digital zoom and go for a good optical zoom

No. I'm talking about the method of comparing the resolution capabilities of one video camera with another. Some (a very very few) video cameras I saw in store displayed their megapixel figures. Just as a digital still camera would. The problem is that very few cameras on display gave this figure and those that did varied enormously.

Is there an online comparison site that includes the megapixel figures for video cameras?

I used mini DV on a Sony 3CCD camera. Top notch quality. Use a Sony GV-D300E (its a bit like a mini video recorder) to play/edit straight in to the PC.

Steer well clear of DVD camcorders - moving about when filming can cause the laser to skip, MiniDV is by far the better format for recording onto. Firewire is also very useful, as is AV input so you can record from an external source.

As with point and shoot cameras, ignore digital zoom and go for a good optical zoom

thanks. I've found some better links tonight than previously. Scrub dvd. miniDV it is.

My first choice isn't released until later this month. Typical :bang: I also see that there's a huge price difference between here and the US (even more than is usual on hi tech goods). I may even hold off and buy when in the US.

Definately miniDV.

The resolution is pretty much the same IIRC.

720x576 for 4:3 PAL. (I think)
The quality comes into the number of CCD's.
3 CCD cameras like the Sony are literally broadcast quality from the off.
The cheaper end of the cameras (like my Panasonic NVGS11B) only have 1 CCD.

it's generally accepted that mini dv is the best format at the moment, unless you just want to take a quick recording out of the cam and straight into your dvd player with no editing, you will also need a firewire input into your pc as this is the best for quality and stabilty for transfering mini dv to your pc,also something else to look out for is make sure the camera you chose records in true widescreen, as there are a few out there that don't, i think mainly panasonic out of the big brands, and as said before forget digital zoom and just worry about optical, also when using mini dv tapes try and stick with the same brand, ie if you start off with sony try and stick to sony, it's something to do with dry tape and moist tape, not to sure of all the in's and outs of it, av forums have got a dedicated video section with some very knowledgeable guys on there if you need expert advice (y)

BTW Shope here for tapes (y) Cheap as chips.

The 'used' ones, are usually rushes that have been used once, erased, then given/sold to Tapes UK...so are still perfectly usable.
There are some 'philes that say you should never use a tape more than once. Me? I use mine all the time. When it starts to develop any problems, thats when it goes in the bin.

I bought a mini dv camcorder outside the EU whilst on holiday a few years ago, never had a reason to to think I made the wrong choice.

I never realised the tapes were that cheap. Thanks for all your answers. I'll research a little more but I have a funny felling what my first purchase will be after arriving in SF in mid-October :naughty:

Back