Videography courses

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to start learning videography with a view to offering wedding videos to supplement the stills photography package my friend's company offers. Can anyone recommend a good course (online or real-world) or book on shooting video and then editing?

What software for editing, colour grading, sound etc? Is free Davinci Resolve enough?

Also I was thinking the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera would be ideal, however it's so small I suspect customers would not take it seriously and perception is part of the battle when trying to get clients, any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure Soho Editors used to do shoot and edit courses, but I can't see any on their website now. I expect they would run a custom course though. I've used them for work training with Premiere Pro/Final Cut/Resolve/PS and they've been very good. It just depends if you fancy a trip to London (or Manchester)

I'm pretty sure Soho Editors used to do shoot and edit courses, but I can't see any on their website now. I expect they would run a custom course though. I've used them for work training with Premiere Pro/Final Cut/Resolve/PS and they've been very good. It just depends if you fancy a trip to London (or Manchester)

Thanks. There was a course run by Futureworks in Manchester but they just didn't bother replying to my messages so I gave up.

The blackmagic pcc4k has terrible battery life, and no ibis, and zero weather resistance whatsoever, it also has questionable build quality, with a number of first adopters reporting problems. On paper it looks enticing due to its raw recording options, all be it to external ssd’s, and its low price.
However, I’d never recommend it for weddings, I’d suggest you look at something like the Panasonic gh5 or the gh5s which are far better suited to run and gun filming and also better for gimble work.

I want to start learning videography with a view to offering wedding videos to supplement the stills photography package my friend's company offers. Can anyone recommend a good course (online or real-world) or book on shooting video and then editing?

What software for editing, colour grading, sound etc? Is free Davinci Resolve enough?

Also I was thinking the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera would be ideal, however it's so small I suspect customers would not take it seriously and perception is part of the battle when trying to get clients, any thoughts?

Premiere pro cc can do all that, and the new tab setup makes it easy, can learn via YouTube.

You will need something with Ibis, and with good battery life (stay away from Sony).

I have spent months looking at the BMCPC4K and although the footage looks as close to a Canon Cine camera there are far to many negatives about it to make it a camera for "run and gun" situations and that would include weddings.

Sure you can buy a good cage for it now, you can use external batteries, whether that is a small V-lock battery and use D-tap power (there are now other solutions) but the focusing is still not good although they have just done a software upgrade but have not seen anything to show that it even comes close to a Panasonic GH5s for focusing.

To be honest, 4K is only a number and you can film with an HD camera and you can produce results just as good if you have the right set-up and lens.

DaVinci Resolve would be my suggestion, it's free and although not as good as Premier the Colour panel is just the biz.

Back