Vignetting on every pic - Is this is a knackered lens?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a 28mm lens for my OM40 and every shot has pretty significant vignetting. Am I safe to assume this is a problem with the lens? (It's the right mount).

Cheers!

AA020.jpgAA010.jpg

Ok i know very little about Olympus digital cameras and lenses however IF Olympus produces digi bodies with crop sensors that have the same OM lens mount as the 35mm film cameras, is it possible that you have a lens designed for a crop sensor and not full frame ( ie 35mm film) ?

Ok i know very little about Olympus digital cameras and lenses however IF Olympus produces digi bodies with crop sensors that have the same OM lens mount as the 35mm film cameras, is it possible that you have a lens designed for a crop sensor and not full frame ( ie 35mm film) ?

That would cause it, but the M43 digital cameras have a different mount to the original OM film cameras. The mount diameter is much smaller.

Last edited:
OM digital cameras use a couple (I think) if different mounts. We have an E3, which is an SLR and has an adapter to use OM film lenses. I think the later non SLR OMs use a different m4/3 mount.

Wideangle lenses can suffer from darkening in the corners (cos **4 law), but I wouldn't expect a problem with a 28mm. I'd go with a filter or inappropriate lens hood until we know neither were used.

That would cause it, but the M43 digital cameras have a different mount to the original OM film cameras. The mount diameter is much smaller.

Lens hood problem then I think as has been mentioned....

If not that then no idea , sorry!

The vignetting would have been visible in the viewfinder so did that not ring alarm bells before pressing the shutter?

Last edited:
The vignetting would have been visible in the viewfinder so did that not ring alarm bells before pressing the shutter?
Not unless it's a viewfinder with 100% coverage. Not many were. Most were 95% or less. I do know that some Nikons (F- pro models) had 100% coverage, but a lot of their other cams had like 92% only. So that would leave an outer margin unvisible in the 'finder.

Not unless it's a viewfinder with 100% coverage. Not many were. Most were 95% or less. I do know that some Nikons (F- pro models) had 100% coverage, but a lot of their other cams had like 92% only. So that would leave an outer margin unvisible in the 'finder.

This is what caught me out and continues to do today :)

Back