Viking Invasion

Edit My Images
Yes
It the viking festival at York at the moment so I thought I would take some photos.
What do you think to this shot?

C & C please :)

vikingsmall.jpg

Thanks

Pete

Nice shot! He's a bit tight in the frame for my tastes. If it's a crop try cropping so you give him some space on the left to be looking into. Where you leave space behind the subject as you have here, there's a tendency for the viewers eyes to roam looking into it, so I'd crop tighter on the right. The reflections of the modern buildings and people in his helmet are a shame, but it's just one of those things.

The only other thing is there's something strange going on with the flesh tones on his cheek and eye - also parts of the fur on his coat. It looks like noise reduction has had that plasticky smoothing effect it sometimes has? If that's the case, I'd prefer the noise.

Thanks for the c & c, CT. Yeah it is a crop so i`ll try what you said, and I leave the noise reduction out.

thanks again :)

I like that Peter, Nice background blur too.:)

The only drawback (if any) is the modern day reflections in his helmet..

A champion shot - though I agree about the crop.

regards

What a fantastic beard! I want one!

I can't really add anything above what has been offered up so far alas.

Less noise reduction and more space. You'll also find that with a wider crop, giving him more space to look into, the reflections in his helmet will become less of a distraction.

HTH?

Have you got the EXIF for that Peter, looks kinda motion blurred.

is this what you want

Nikon D50
2006/02/19 11:07:30.1
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 70-210mm F/4.5-5.6
Focal Length: 210mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/50 sec - F/6
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200

Loads better framing Pete - nice job! :)

Yes that's it Peter.

1/50th at 210mm probably explains why its looks ever so slightly blurred. Is that a VR lens?

nope, just an second hand lens i bought 30 quid of ebay and it was hand held so if its slightly blured i could have moved.

Ah that's fine then Peter. I don't want to assume what you do/don't know about photography but the rule of thumb is to have the shutter speed greater than the reciprocal of the focal length i.e. for 210mm you want 1/210th or faster to give you a chance of a steady shot.

So, 1/50th at 210mm is a bit too slow. Some people have the ability to hold it steady at much lower shutter speeds than us humans but they're freaks and we don't talk to them.

:)

SammyC said:
Ah that's fine then Peter. I don't want to assume what you do/don't know about photography but the rule of thumb is to have the shutter speed greater than the reciprocal of the focal length i.e. for 210mm you want 1/210th or faster to give you a chance of a steady shot.

So, 1/50th at 210mm is a bit too slow. Some people have the ability to hold it steady at much lower shutter speeds than us humans but they're freaks and we don't talk to them.

:)

Assume i know nothing because that IS what i know,next question how do i alter the shutter speed? only just worked out aperture size thing

cheers

pete

You being a Nikon bod I'm gonna have to look at you slightly funny and obviously not trust you ever, but for a Canon the two options are full manual mode (M) and Tv (Shutter priority). Tv mode works like the app priority you had the camera in when you took this shot.

If none of this makes any sense I recommend you have a browse of the Web Links section because Arkady recently put in a tonne of links to cover basic photography aspects such as this.

Actually I'm off to check this now....

Back