Virginia Water - Cascade

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I visited Virginia Water at the weekend with the sole intention of getting to the cascade to experiment and learn to use an ND filter, perhaps I should have got there much earlier because it was very busy :) however myself and my buddy also there with the same objectives as me found this nice spot and I think it makes quite a nice photo. Willing and open for critique, have desire to improve :)

Post processing - resized and a small amount of sharpening
View attachment 22012
Camera:Canon EOS 550D
Lens:Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Shot at 36 mm
Exposure:Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 4 sec, f/13, ISO 100

My thoughts, is there a way I could keep the vegetation still and the water flowing, perhaps two exposures or perhaps just a bunch of longer exposures until you have been fortunate with the wind!?

Thanks,
Matt

It's not easy but the biggest pitfall with long exposure shots like this is blowing the highlights in the water. This is something you could improve on, maybe by shooting in fairly dull light conditions. For the vegetation, I would exclude it altogether in this case, though moving grasses in LE's shouldn't detract from an image.

Thank you, I hadn't even though about blowing the highlights in the water!

Thanks for the feedback :)

its a very difficult spot to find empty enough of the crowds :( although I see you shot from the other side. I guess from the pathway, you'd get a cleaner shot but you'll need some patience.

its a very difficult spot to find empty enough of the crowds :( although I see you shot from the other side. I guess from the pathway, you'd get a cleaner shot but you'll need some patience.

Yes, that was my issue exactly :) Nice from the other side but so busy and there was some sort of photoshoot with 'pixies and elves' happening on the top, I guess I had to get there earlier! I'm guessing on foot you can get there any time you like? I parked in blacknest car park and walked to the waterfall, but it was around midday (bad me!)

You were lucky.
I went there in early August and the thing was bone dry!
I was there during the week and it wasn't very busy.
Virginia Water by briangibson427, on Flickr
We haven't had much rain since then (until today), so I wonder where all the water came from.
Do they have some kind of control system for the water flow?

Huh, good question! I know it rained a little on saturday. Wow, you must have been unlucky! :)

Huh, good question! I know it rained a little on saturday. Wow, you must have been unlucky! :)
Yes, I'll have to try again - especially as I wanted to try a different ND filter.
I've used an ND 3 (10 stop) but I'd got an ND 0.9 3-stop to avoid the really smooth water effects you get with the 10-stopper.
Your 4 second example is the sort of effect that I'm looking for, what strength ND filter did you use?

Virginia Water is not too far from where I live so I can pop down there whenever the weather looks suitable.
Now we've had some more rain I'm hoping there will be even more water coming over the Cascade.
I remember my dad taking me there when I was a kid and there seemed to be lots of water coming over, but maybe it's just cos I was a kid I remember it that way.
With any luck I might be able to get the cascade and autumn colours!

Hi, I used a Cokin P154 (ND8) filter.
Thanks very much.
That's the same strength that I have.
I like the separate streams of water effect, rather than the totally misty results you get with longer exposures.

1st thing is thanks for putting the settings on, much easier to critique.

The shot its self is over exposed, as you can see from the blown highlights in the water. As for the composition the grass in the foreground and twigs are a little distracting id have liked the to see more of the rocks and less of the lower water. Also id like to see a little more contrast in the stones.
But good try not easy getting exposures right on waterfalls

Yes, I'll have to try again - especially as I wanted to try a different ND filter.
I've used an ND 3 (10 stop) but I'd got an ND 0.9 3-stop to avoid the really smooth water effects you get with the 10-stopper.
Your 4 second example is the sort of effect that I'm looking for, what strength ND filter did you use?

Virginia Water is not too far from where I live so I can pop down there whenever the weather looks suitable.
Now we've had some more rain I'm hoping there will be even more water coming over the Cascade.
I remember my dad taking me there when I was a kid and there seemed to be lots of water coming over, but maybe it's just cos I was a kid I remember it that way.
With any luck I might be able to get the cascade and autumn colours!

Hi Brian,
Funny i remember my Dad taking me there as a Kid too! was a bit more of a trip for us up from Basingstoke then.... used to be a Sunday treat!
I think they do have some control over the flow, i have been there a couple of times over the years both dry and overgrow and in full flow. Somewhere over the back there are what look like some sluice control valves from memory. so i think its part of the control of the level of the lakes.
I have been meaning to go back there for years, I did wonder if it was still operational as once i went and it looked pretty derelict and overgrown.
One day i'll pop in on the way home from work as i travel the M3 every day:(. Will try and get back there soon.
Cheers
Steve

Hi,

I visited Virginia Water at the weekend with the sole intention of getting to the cascade to experiment and learn to use an ND filter, perhaps I should have got there much earlier because it was very busy :) however myself and my buddy also there with the same objectives as me found this nice spot and I think it makes quite a nice photo. Willing and open for critique, have desire to improve :)

Post processing - resized and a small amount of sharpening
View attachment 22012
Camera:Canon EOS 550D
Lens:Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Shot at 36 mm
Exposure:Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 4 sec, f/13, ISO 100

My thoughts, is there a way I could keep the vegetation still and the water flowing, perhaps two exposures or perhaps just a bunch of longer exposures until you have been fortunate with the wind!?

Thanks,
Matt

Dont forget Matt some of the shots you see are set up! Taking your shot as an example and answering your question on foreground.... Big branch (If you can find one around on the ground) or ski walking pole (Or Monopod) to hold down those pesky flapping reeds right out of the way. Also good for pulling those distracting twigs out of the shot, then try and get in, or over with your tripod. Its amazing how useful a monopod or walking pole is for getting stuff out of the way of the shot. I used to think this sort of vegitation in the foreground was a good idea but it generally causes more issues than anything else.

Another tip if you do happen to have 0.6 / 0.9 ND Grads as well you dont really need to buy dedicated ND filters you can just use the dark graduaed end of the filter as an ND.
Probably best go to locations like this early or late in the day, to get the light and less people around to hinder you. All makes good practice though!

All the best
Steve

Back