Vista 64 bit or XP Pro 64 bit?

Thanks again for the replies :)

My new machine arrived yesterday.

I was initially impressed with the user interface and shiney new bits that Vista had to offer, and could feel my prejudice towards it melting away.

That all changed when I tried to install my GMB Eye One - loaded the software off the CD, Vista wouldn't have it as it was out of date and the driver wasn't digitally signed. Found and downloaded the latest version, and uninstalled the older software which left a few folders behind.

Tried to delete these manaully and was told I didn't have sufficient priviledges to do this. WTF? I'm not allowed to delete stuff off my own machine? I then spent at least the next hour trying to enable admin rights on my user account, which proved impossible. I finally managed to disable the whole managed user accounts "facility" (ignoring the repeated dire warnings from the OS).

Finally, I managed to delete the old software, re-install the newer version and get the device working. This took me about 4hrs, and only really happened by chance anyway when the OS eventually automatically detected the device and allowed me to install the drivers, which appeared to happen purely by luck. I'm still having problems getting other stuff to work though.

Now I'm having all manner of problems installing other software and my PC remains pretty much bare.

Tbh I'm utterly shocked and disgusted at how bloated, unco-operative, authoritarian and counter-productive this operating system is; I can now fully understand how it got such a bad rep on it's release and I want it off my machine as soon as humanly possible.

Can I expect Windows 7 to be any better in terms of nannying? Or am I likely to get a visit from "Leeroy and Barry" when I install it, who will stand behind me and punch me in the back of the head every time I try to do something that doesn't sit with the ideologies of Chairman Gates..?

I refuse to let my OS tell me what I can and can't do on my own sodding machine, and find it disgusting that such a mainstream company would attempt to assert such levels of control over their customer's personal machines.

If windows 7 is no better in this respect I'll definitely be going backwards to XP64.

Anyway, rant over - I'm off to write a bile filled letter to microsoft as I feel this piece of invasive crap is far from being fit for purpose :bang:

Windows 7 is much less obnoxious. You can with a bit of surfing find out how to switch off a lot of Vistas' nannying (which I also found quite insulting, just because many windows users are illiterate technical luddites doesn't mean we all are) but not all of it unfortunately. I actually used 7 before I ever came in contact with vista and I can say that there has been a real effort made to make it less aggravating.

Windows 7 is much less obnoxious. You can with a bit of surfing find out how to switch off a lot of Vistas' nannying (which I also found quite insulting, just because many windows users are illiterate technical luddites doesn't mean we all are) but not all of it unfortunately. I actually used 7 before I ever came in contact with vista and I can say that there has been a real effort made to make it less aggravating.
Thanks for the reassurance - has made me feel a bit better about upgrading :)

In the meantime I'll do as you suggest and try to get rid of any remaining obnoxious features through a solid course of googling..

You can turn the UAC to silent mode, means it's on but it doesn't prompt you constantly.:) As for signed drivers it's only x64 that stops you installing non signed ones, it's to make it more secure and stable I think, it's just lazy developers that can't be bothered to get them signed (or old software), you can get round this however by restarting in a certain way and then install the unsigned drivers. :)

My experience of x64 is mixed, speedwise and ease of use is great, BUT I agree with Wookie, network connections are a nightmare for security, also as mentioned, 32bit apps sometimes through a wobbeley

32bit apps sometimes through a wobbeley

Agree, although most programmes whizz along (mainly due to using 4GB+ memory), some of the third party plug-ins I used to use in PS (32 bit) won't work with the 64 bit version.

Back