Vlog camera suggestions?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
After yesterdays outing with the gopro (hero 4) and finding about half the footage ruined by wind noise, I've had enough. I shot a few clips on a 6d2 in the same conditions and even with the built in mike it was miles better. I've tried 3 different external mikes on the gopro with no luck either.
So suggestions for a new vloging camera? I dont need a camera I can throw off a cliff, skydive, or swim with, I would like something that has a zoom lens manual or powered is fine. And it being able to do decent stills would be a big bonus. Most of the stuff I do is me talking to camera and showing whats going on where I am.
I'd like something I can use a decent mike on too.
I dont want to spend a fortune, but I'm not tied to a budget (although I may have to hide it from her indoor if I spend a lot ;)) So any suggestions welcome,

Canon Powershot G7 (mk2) seems popular, as does the Sony ZV1.

The ZV1 seems to come up a lot on youtube, I'll check out the G7 (I'm a canon shooter with dslrs) The lens range is better too from a real quick look.
Thanks Lewis.

The ZV-1 is rather too tight at 35mm with stabilisation on, if you are walking with it in your hand, and filming yourself.
IMO the best value action cam style for this currently is DJI Action 3.
For top notch video and pushing the boat out Sony FX30 with 11mm F1.8mm it will be about £2k though.

You can't expect reliably good audio without a (preferably directional) external mic plus wind muff or lavalier wireless or wired with wind muff.
That's one thing the ZV-1 does quite well they supply a muff fits in hot shoe and the mic on top is somewhat directional towards the front.
If you are talking to camera while recording other stuff - rather than recording yourself - it might be a good option.

Last edited:
The ZV-1 is rather too tight at 35mm with stabilisation on, if you are walking with it in your hand, and filming yourself.
IMO the best value action cam style for this currently is DJI Action 3.
For top notch video and pushing the boat out Sony FX30 with 11mm F1.8mm it will be about £2k though.

You can't expect reliably good audio without a (preferably directional) external mic plus wind muff or lavalier wireless or wired with wind muff.
That's one thing the ZV-1 does quite well they supply a muff fits in hot shoe and the mic on top is somewhat directional towards the front.
If you are talking to camera while recording other stuff - rather than recording yourself - it might be a good option.
I tend to have the gopro on a monopod to include some background, so mostly not hand held. Dont want to go to 2k really (tempting though) Does the action 3 have a mike plug? I have to use an addaptor on the gopro which is a pain.

I tend to have the gopro on a monopod to include some background, so mostly not hand held. Dont want to go to 2k really (tempting though) Does the action 3 have a mike plug? I have to use an addaptor on the gopro which is a pain.
It uses the USB-C input you don't need any adapter USB-C (plug) mics are widely available for phones however there are different protocols both for mic input and any (inexpensive) adapter leads for 3.5mm to use conventional microphones.
So some won't work or can't use full bandwidth or something, I guess I was kind of lucky and bought one with usb-c plug works very well.

Seems to me with the issues you have maybe a camcorder is the answer? no worries about zoom it is buit in- no worries about wind noise with an external mike and deadcat muffler. you say a decent mike but not if you want a directional or stereo version. chosing the right mike is as hard as choosing the right camera. there are things one can do to cut down with noise as I did below.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHG_4Wj4tt0

not all wind rumble gone but most of it, and it was very windy that day not even the lighthouse was open to the public

Ok most on here say this is a photographic site but to me that includes video. it is a so often overlooked medium by diehard stills photographers who don't accept anything else.
Yes i still shoot stills with my Nikon D810 but find it so limiting.

so many "hid" the recorded noise "wind rumble" with editing out the sound track and replacing it with music . I my opinion if you can't record using techniques to avoid/ cut down wind noise then there is something wrong in what they are doing.

Last edited:
Well after looking at loads of different ones, including a full frame, sanity caught up with me and I've ordered a Sony ZV1 I wanted something small, while the bigger sonys with swopable lens look great, I'm not far off walking around with a 7d (which I have) Next it's a good mic and some spare batteries.
Anybody reccomend some from amazon that work?

Thanks all

question is are you after a directonal microphone or stereo microphone or even a lavalier microphone wireless? or even one that does directional and stereo..
If I may be bold and make a suggestion
If you can get hold of a Sennheseiser MKE400 mk1 not the later mk2 version you won't be going far wrong. I have had mine for a very long time . Actually I have no idea why I am keeping it apart from being one who hangs on to a lot of things "just in case"

P1051500aaa.jpg

AS you see it is powered by AAA batteries and has a wind preventing and volume switch. should come with a deadcat as well but i also add on very windy days another hairy one over that as well.
Rhode microphones in my opinion are much over rated and your paying for the name.

link for windjammer one i have as well Sue fixed a strap on the hairy deadcat to hold in in place

its been kicking around in my camerabag unused for a long time but still works as good as
new

I now use a pansonic stereo microphone for my camcorder as well as another.

I can fit it on a hotshoe mount or on a special clamp on my camcorder handle

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
P1051506stereo.jpg

zzzzz.jpg

The mike I also use is this one above which is stereo and powered from the camera/camcorder, but should not be a major concern. It is the Panasonic VW-VMS10 on Amazon just over £90.THe deadcat I gotg from a company called Gutmann in Germany who make in my opinion the longest haired and best deadcats one could wish for. I have an elastc band somewhere in that hair to hold it on better, from ebay. The longer the hair the better wind deflection. as it has no switches as the sennheisser a good "deadcat" as shown is advisable.

Little tip
always check hair (fibre) length before ordering

Gutmann Microphone Fur Windscreen Windshield for Panasonic VW-VMS10 / E / E-K
£25.13

Last edited:
lavalier
View attachment 392568

View attachment 392569

The mike I also use is this one above which is stereo and powered from the camera/camcorder, but should not be a major concern. It is the Panasonic VW-VMS10 on Amazon just over £90.THe deadcat I gotg from a company called Gutmann in Germany who make in my opinion the longest haired and best deadcats one could wish for. I have an elastc band somewhere in that hair to hold it on better, from ebay. The longer the hair the better wind deflection. as it has no switches as the sennheisser a good "deadcat" as shown is advisable.

Little tip
always check hair (fibre) length before ordering

Gutmann Microphone Fur Windscreen Windshield for Panasonic VW-VMS10 / E / E-K
£25.13
Is there much difference between the two? I've got a powered mic here (cant remember the name) thats powered by a small battery about half the size on an AA battery from memory. It's ok, but I've not had time to compare the that with the built in mic.
I dont mind paying for a good one though. I've had a dead cat made locally for my last mike,
Whats a lavalier? I know a shotgun mic is directional, but after that I'm lost as to what is good or bad.
Thanks for the help

Whats a lavalier? it is a wireless microphone with the transmitter on the person and the reciever on the camera. Normally transmitter clipped onto a shirt or clothing..

yes there is a tremendous difference depending on what your videoing. A surround sound one will pick up all the bird songs around you or have say a car passingby form one speaker to the other.

different microphones for different situations. There is of course another option and that is a microphone that does both but really too big for that particular camera.
Like everything I did a lot of reseach. P1051508.JPG

This is the Azden SMX-30v on amazon for £276.06. before saying that is too much rhode I don't even think they make one or I can't find it. THis is a really great microphone and sound reproduction is amazing. What I like about it is first of all I don't need to carry two microphones about - powered either from camera or its own 2xAAA batteries easily accessable. the audio cabe is detachable so any length works.

Wayne I have to say how I find obviously, and I would not go back to getting a directional microphone . with a stereo microphone you are so much more into the video with everything going on around you. I think that the Panasonic stereo would possibly the ideal for you for that small camerabor any other

Last edited:
Ok most on here say this is a photographic site but to me that includes video. it is a so often overlooked medium by diehard stills photographers who don't accept anything else.
Yes i still shoot stills with my Nikon D810 but find it so limiting.

My co-admins might not 100% agree with this, but I am firmly of the view that video is interesting, and a lot of photographers dabble in it either for film production or vlogging, and many use DSLR's/MiLC's for it, so in my book video discussion on TP is very welcome. Photography can be still or video, and Media Production is likewise both. So bring it on, always keen to have useful and interesting content on the site. Just don't ask us to host big video files!

I tried the camera out today, shot the air ambulance landing at an incident I was at, and then later in an unlit tunnel. Pleased so far, haven't had time to upload or edit the videos, just a quick look at the clips. Ok I have an anti gravity helicopter (blade speed matching shutter speed) but I can live with that.
On the mic side I'm tempted by the Rhode wireless go 2 (dont know whats new) I suspect for my peices to camera that might be best, and the Rhode micro 2 for when I want the ambiant sound. Does that sound like a decent set up?

Back