Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Nokton SLII

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Apparently the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Nokton SLII is meant to be the mutts nutts (?), anyone here have any experience with this lens on full frame Nikon D750/D8** series....? I know the build quality is superb but does it cut the mustard image wise...?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Pete

I've got the nikon 50mm f1.2 that most compare with the voigtlander. Personally I can't see me swapping over as the nikon is great. Both have the usual fast double gauss attributes. They both suffer from coma flare and slightly busy bokeh wide open and both sharpen up pretty fast when stopped down.

The voigtlander is slightly sharper in the centre wide open due to higher contrast, but it's a slight difference not a big one and the rendering will be subtly different due to the longer focal length. Personally, I'd get whichever was cheapest. I would also point out that the difference between a current AF 50mm lens isn't likely to be all that great either. I went for the 50 f1.2 over the voiglander and an AF counterpart as it can do f1.2 which they can't and it is well known for being exceptionally sharp at f2. (more than any MF nikon 50 and more than the older AF-D's, on par with AF-S)

Apologies in advance for bringing this thread back from the dead.

Has anyone here bought a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 since @macvisual initially asked?

ive seen some reviews and comments on USA sites.
Consensus seems to be that it is very good for front bokeh cf. the Nikon 58mm 1.4 which is very good for rear bokeh.

The thought of getting one has been at the back of my mind for a while. I don't mind MF lenses and it'd be a nice complement for my CV 40mm f/2 Ultron. But I hate swapping lenses when I'm out and about. Which is why I find the 50mm a nice compromise for those days you're out and about and looking for inspiration. But the 58mm focal length would be more flattering for portraits. But I've got an 85mm lens for that!

I hate this time of year. I'm at my most vulnerable to GAS. :eek:

I gave in and bought one. So very pleased I did. Superb build quality (as you'd expect from CV lenses). Buttery bokeh wide open if that's your thing. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G will shortly be looking for a new home.

Back