Voigtlander Vito B premature shutter function

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just given by a camera Club member his 1950's classic German 'Voigtander Vito B' in good condition BUT when i loaded a 'test Film' to get the shutter working i found there is a fault -- I cannot release shutter with the button as when I complete the film wind action the shutter fires THEN !
I see there is one screw in the film cassette chamber at top and there is one other on the accessory shoe. is it worth a 'look' or shall I seek out a 'Classic Camera repairer' here in England at great Cost OR have any members of THIS Group got any advice ?
Voigtlander Vito B 01 (1).jpgVoigtlander Vito B 01 (2).jpg

Yo !! May have SOLVED it with help from a kind Yank on Photrio Forum who suggested the 'Cable release plunger' may be 'Stuck' in a depressed state -- I fitted a Cable release and tried it -- after pushing it fired the shutter then when I wound ON for next frame the shutter did not fire prematurely , only when i pressed shutter button gently -- seems there may have been some dirt down there.

Yo !! May have SOLVED it with help from a kind Yank on Photrio Forum who suggested the 'Cable release plunger' may be 'Stuck' in a depressed state -- I fitted a Cable release and tried it -- after pushing it fired the shutter then when I wound ON for next frame the shutter did not fire prematurely , only when i pressed shutter button gently -- seems there may have been some dirt down there.

Result :)

Glad you got it working, as a professional CLA repair with postage costs would probably cost about twice what a working Vito B would. It will be interesting to see what you make of it; I have a Vito BL and whilst it's a small and quite quirky little camera, I've not been all that impressed with the results from it. For that kind of camera, I actually prefer the Kodak Retinette 1b I have in terms of both use and results. However, I think the Vito was probably more solidly made.

there must be thousands of Vito B cameras still out there.
In their day they sold themselves. they were probably the best known and trusted camera.
You don't need a film in to test it. you can open the back and rotate the sprocket by hand and it will reset the shutter.
The wind lever moves the film and the film/ socket sets the shutter.

I have the Vito CL by Voigtlander, It was bought for me new for my 21 birthday so now over 50 years old. As you can see it is immaculate, even the clockwork timer still works.
So I was wondering how many of this model are still out there in this "as new" condition with box and original instruction book. Also has the original leather protective case. Even the light meter still works

8gxvLRY.jpg

hskbvW7.jpg

JfaClts.jpg

Unfortunately there is very little value nowadays in such a well engineered product

Last edited:
Yes - it has an immaculate Leather case, Hood and a 'BEWI' meter in small leather cases -- i put some 'Neatsfoot Oil' onto all the leather-- saved strap from breaking as it was so dry. Cannot understand the very small 'BEWI' meter though -- even searched on Mr Butkus site but he doesn't have that one.

If my memory servers me correctly ,the next camera in the line up also had a range finder built in as well
That camera in my photos was the second one i ever had. The first was a box Brownie 127

Last edited:
Learnt photography with my dads VitoB which he bought on national service in Germany. He still has it and it still works.
Used to get great results and still have lots of slides (Kodachrome and ektachrome)

Back