Volucella inflata, order Diptera

His back is nice and sharp but to me, the DoF is too shallow, try with a larger F number to get a little more of his nose in focus and you've nailed it (y)

hi :wave:
had a look on your flickr...you have stuff much better than this taken more recently, so you seem to be learning as you go. IMHO it is not composed very well. The fly is not all in the frame and too far to the left. The focus point would be better on the eye, you seem to have hit the middle of the neck..ish? F13 it says in the exif, so I thought the DOF would have been a lot deeper?? strange. Lighting is good. All constructive I hope.....I hate giving crit :puke:

That is one dusty hoverfly, nice capture ;)

hi :wave:
had a look on your flickr...you have stuff much better than this taken more recently, so you seem to be learning as you go. IMHO it is not composed very well. The fly is not all in the frame and too far to the left. The focus point would be better on the eye, you seem to have hit the middle of the neck..ish? F13 it says in the exif, so I thought the DOF would have been a lot deeper?? strange. Lighting is good. All constructive I hope.....I hate giving crit :puke:

nah thats super helpful! and yeah iam learning as i go, i havent worked out this tokina lens yet the aperture seems not relative to the DoF is was expecting, perhaps its cos its effective aperture, and i should dial in f11 etc then extend to full magnification. I dunno, thanks for your comments!

Which images did you like on flickr particularly?

added you as a contact btw

Back