Wader ID please

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
At first I thought this was a duck, so concentrated on something else. But, the more I looked at it, it wasn't behaving like a duck, and the bill was obviously different. Lousy pictures, and processed to within an inch of its life, but I'd be greatful if anyone could identify it.

13thJuly2008069eesr.jpg

13thJuly2008070esr.jpg

Thanks.

Looks like a Juvenile Coot to me, which is a duck, not a wader.

The bird in your picture has definitely got the large yellow feet a Coot has. The bird may not be behaving like a duck becasue it is only young, it has yet to learn the behaviours of a Coot.

Last edited:
hmmm, not too sure Flash, but thanks for replying. Got some young Coots on a nest, and look very different.

12thJuly2008020esr.jpg

Ok, my second guess is a Juvenile Moorhen.

20060904_d35_20060827_1901_016%20fb1%20juvenile%20moorhen(r+mb%20id@576).jpg

Not my own image

That looks like the chap.. with that white stripe down the side. (y)

Yeah I think it is a Juvenile Moorhen. What j'a reckon Hairy?

Does look similar, but I'm still not convinced.
Feather markings and colour look different to me. :thinking:

It could just be the lighing mate! Becasue of the birds beak, I am about 98% sure it isn't a wader. He won't be able to get any moluscs from under the mud with that little stubby thing!

True :LOL:
Yer probably right about the Moorhen; but it was behaving more like a wader at the time.
...and I thought Warblers were a nightmare to ID :LOL:

Warblers are a nightmare, trust me! It took me four weeks to work out this little blighter!:

Take a lucky guess:

Bid01.jpg

Ok; I'll rule out the obvious 'Reed', since this is a 'test' :LOL:

Was it a rarity to this country? Or taken abroad?
Quick guess at 'Booted' if its an out of the ordinary.

Nope, plain and simple, it was a Reed Warbler.

Cheers Chris. I think the beak is too short for that though. It was at Willen this morning, so probably something pretty regular :thinking:

Thats me done then Keith :D
Though I am pretty sure its NOT a young Moorhen, there are dozens around where I work on a regular basis
( check out the pond at the back of the leisure plaza behind what used to be "smile") early morning, they wander about all over the grass area

although it's difficult to see exactly, but i'm with flash & hairy, young moorhen...

Thanks for all the comments.

You know when you get that 'feeling', you just seen something exciting, and then.....oh well, never mind :LOL:

:coat:

Back