Wales Rally GB - October 2018

damianmkv

Uh oh, a fruit basket!
Edit My Images
Yes
i went last year for the first time with my son. As it was half term, we did Friday and Saturday but only were on the stages on Saturday..got soaked ( naturally ) walked miles...said I'd never go again...

( cough )

Is the Thursday shakedown day worth going to ? Am wondering about Thursday and Friday this year ...or maybe Friday and Saturday again..

Thanks

i went last year for the first time with my son. As it was half term, we did Friday and Saturday but only were on the stages on Saturday..got soaked ( naturally ) walked miles...said I'd never go again...

( cough )

Is the Thursday shakedown day worth going to ? Am wondering about Thursday and Friday this year ...or maybe Friday and Saturday again..

Thanks

You visited Wales in October and got soaked..... surely that's no surprise ;) The shakedown stages are ok but crowds are bigger and you're more restricted where you can stand so personally the stages are the ones to go for for me, just take decent waterproofs and a good umbrella.

Simon

haha, yes, not surprising really is it. I was a bit ill prepared with just wellies and a jacket last year.

Thanks for the advice re the Thursday, if there are more restrictions then maybe i'll stock to Friday and Saturday

I went for the first time in many years last year. I am literally counting the days down to going again this year, it was absolutely brilliant. I did Gartheniog stage last year on the Saturday, mainly because of the 2WRC runs and the national run all in the same stage = more to see without moving stages. This year on the Saturday There are 4 stages I think with 2 Wrc runs and a national run - myherin, Dyfi , Gartheniog, and one other I can’t immediately remember the name of. From a photography point of view, Myherin looks best for timings of the runs and how they are spread through the day. I’m worried the later in the day it gets the worse the light will be...and the timing of the Myherin runs look best. This year I’m going to sleep in the car and drive down in the Friday night. Doesn’t answer your question does it haha !

Nope, bloody useless reply [emoji4]

We did Gartheniog too but I really need to walk around more to see what else I can get. I think I need more father/son time too as I’ve been travelling a lot this year and my son has been very ill...Will look at the stage you mention in the planner tomorrow

All this talk has now got me looking at 70-200s.

Dammit

Didn't realise quite how local it was to me. Will most likely try the Llyn Brenig stage as its about 25 mins from home:)

GC

Anyone else going? Still looking at Myherin personally although this is definitely going to be the longest drive from home (Manchester)

I’m doing Friday and Saturday but I haven’t decided on which stages yet

I’m in Surrey so it’s a long way for me too

Glad it’s a bit earlier this year - be lighter for a bit longer which should help from a photography point of view

weather is looking typically Wales...good for ducks and all that

Impulse photos wanted. Any recommendations for a Friday or Saturday early morning drive up? How about parking? Sounds like a follow the leader kind of day to find the good spots.

Also, how dark will it be, D850 or D5 kind of dark?

Parking is first come first served - if you're late, you'll be in for a good few miles walk. . Even if you're early, it could well be a mile or 2 to get into a decent place. I've only been once so can't recommend anywhere

As for light, last year was overcast so I was at iso5000 on my d500 for much of the day - bear in mind there's a lot of tree cover too in some stages which doesn't help the light

Parking is first come first served - if you're late, you'll be in for a good few miles walk. . Even if you're early, it could well be a mile or 2 to get into a decent place. I've only been once so can't recommend anywhere

As for light, last year was overcast so I was at iso5000 on my d500 for much of the day - bear in mind there's a lot of tree cover too in some stages which doesn't help the light

Thanks for the response.

No worries. I think we got there at 6am last year. it's properly "dark dark" in these areas at this time of year - i'd gone dreaming of golden sunrise for epic landscapes, with a rally car coming from miles away.

It rained...we'd positioned ourselves on a series of bends so you hear the car then have a split second to get your shot.

This year I think we'll try and pack in a few different stages

Don’t forget though that you get a couple of bites at the cherry.... the WRC cars are through twice on the same day on most stages - and the nationals through once.

I guess I just need to choose a Saturday location and stick with it. Question is, how will I know when I’m even close? I keep reading about massive parking queues along the roads leading up to the viewing areas. I’m assuming people are just walking up to the road coarse and picking a vantage point.

Follow up question, is a 70-200 enough? I have a 500 f/4 that I’m willing to haul around. Too long?

500mm is too long unless you’re at sweet lamb or the like where it’s more open

I’ve been doing some research on this impulse trip. Seems you need to arrive the previous evening if you have any hope of getting anything resembling a parking space, sleep rough, and then do a lot of walking even if you plan on staying in one place.

Hmmmmm......maybe I should head off to Mach Loop instead. Probably better chances of keepers. [emoji23]

Some people definitely stay overnight in their cars / vans / campers on the "roads" ( read *tracks* ) on the way to the stage but you don't need to. I'd say the earlier you get to a stage, the nearer you'll be. These are tracks leading up to the stages, they can be a few miles long and so you could be parked half in a ditch, half on a track. We stayed in a hotel last year which we left at 5.30am and got to the stage at 6.15am. This year, we're staying nearer each of the stages I'm planning on visiting first ( having said that, i've actually forgotten which they are.. )

But yes, I guess we walked 5-6 miles or so and stayed on one stage all day

Hmmm... Fancy doing this but not sleeping in the car. Maybe a bit of planning for next year and a hotel booking beckons!

I think I'm paying £80 for a hotel per night. Last year I foolishly booked breakfast too..not thinking that they wouldn't serve breakfast at 5.30am. :tumbleweed: Schoolboy error and all that

Didn't realise quite how local it was to me. Will most likely try the Llyn Brenig stage as its about 25 mins from home:)

GC
room for a little one in the car
LOL

weather is looking typically Wales...good for ducks and all that

Well I said it would change and it has. It’s got worse! Pee’ing down all day Saturday where I’m heading! Nightmare for photography keeping everything dry and that

Would love to give this a go one year. Do you need to buy tickets or can you view from public land so to speak?

You need a ticket to get in the actual forest stages but this year there is a free stage on the great orme in Llandudno - search wales rally gb on google and have a look at the rally planner

Well I said it would change and it has. It’s got worse! Pee’ing down all day Saturday where I’m heading! Nightmare for photography keeping everything dry and that

Yep, Friday is worse still. Grrr

Anyone else drown on slate mountain today ? Miserable conditions

Back