Walkabout lens for Panasonic GX80

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Walkabout lens for Panasonic GX80

The Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 seems to fit the bill: nice size & weight, good range, not a bad price.

But are there any other M43 lenses out there?

I love the Panasonic 45-150mm, my favourite most used lens, but I need something wider. Doesn't need to be too wide.

(y)

How about the 14-45mm, great image quality for the price and the ois is excellent.
It feels nice and solid, prefer it to the 12-32, nice to have a proper lens to grip

How about the 14-45mm, great image quality for the price and the ois is excellent.
It feels nice and solid, prefer it to the 12-32, nice to have a proper lens to grip
Cheers. Is that a Pana lens?

I agree the 12-32 is a bit too small & light ... and I'd like more reach. It's fine for keeping in pocket for occasions when wide is needed,

Last edited:
Cheers. Is that a Pana lens?

I agree the 12-32 is a bit too small & light ... and I'd like more reach. It's fine for keeping in pocket for occasions when wide is needed,

It is and I have one, kept it in preference to the 12-32, better in every aspect or at least I thought so.
Admittedly doesn't get used much these days since I bought an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8

Last edited:
Thanks guys ... there are more Panasonic lenses than I thought ... and I was expecting to hear about Oly and others.

Let me rephrase the OP question ...

What's the Lumix (not Leica) 12-60 like? There are mixed reviews out there, and I sometimes wonder if it's all the same lens, as I don't know if there's more than one edition.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ... there are more Panasonic lenses than I thought ... and I was expecting to hear about Oly and others.

Let me rephrase the OP question ...

What's the Lumix (not Leica) 12-60 like? There are mixed reviews out there, and I sometimes wonder if it's all the same lens, as I don't know if there's more than one edition.

I've not used the 12-60 kit lens so can't say [there is only the one kit version, the other is the Pana-Leica 12-60 2.8-4 which would be much better quality] but I've read good things about it for what it is. For £159 on MPB in excellent condition I think it's a steal - considering they were over £300 not all that long back [they got flooded with them coming in from kit sets so just want rid I reckon] - the lens performance hasn't changed!

They also have the 14-140 mkII on there but it's closer to £300 for a decent copy, you'd have to sell your 40-150 but you'd have it all in one. That one has dualIS that works in tandem with the IBIS of your camera. The one I linked earlier is the older mk1, it will use either IBIS or the lens OIS but not both, it is a lot cheaper though.

As for other suggestions, there's a tonne of options between Olympus and Panasonic, maybe have a scout across them on MPB and select a few of interest, then ask the same question?

Last edited:
As Keith says, there are two Panasonic 12-60 lenses. Both have a good reputation - here are some reviews:
https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/983_pana1260f3556
https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1007_leica1260f284

As pointed out by Rich, The Panasonic 14-45 is excellent and very affordable; it is a great companion to the Panasonic 45-150, which has great IQ for the money as you know already.

In terms of Olympus, the following lenses are also worth considering:
Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO
Olympus 12-100 f/4.0 PRO
They are a bit more expensive than the Panasonic's mentioned earlier (other than the 12-60 f/2.8-4.0), but IQ is excellent, build quality is top notch and they are weather-sealed.

I shouldn't have read this thread I think - found the 12-60 kit lens for £169 on Bristol Cameras so I ordered it despite having far too many m4/3 kit lenses already!

If anyone else is interested here it is: https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-...-5-6-g-vario-lumix-power-ois-micro-4-3rds.htm

Might be out of stock because when I ordered it also said there were two left - hope they don't cancel my order...
They won't have stock.
They'll place an order with the supplier and you'll have to wait for them to get it in.
They're renowned for doing this.
You should get it though. Their prices are good.

They won't have stock.
They'll place an order with the supplier and you'll have to wait for them to get it in.
They're renowned for doing this.
You should get it though. Their prices are good.

Thanks - MPB has them even cheaper 2nd hand so no great loss if I don't get it; not in a hurry so I can wait...

Thanks - MPB has them even cheaper 2nd hand so no great loss if I don't get it; not in a hurry so I can wait...

MPB 'excellent' condition will be pretty much like new, they'll be ones people got in kit boxes with the G80 or G9 that just flogged in when they were worth more. From what I've seen it's a nice lens, just not bright enough for darker situations. Looks to be a nice lens for video too, fast AF and quiet too. If I didn't love the 12-40 so much I'd nab one for general use, and trade the 12-40 for a couple of tasty primes ... actually not a bad idea hmmm .. :naughty:

Another vote for the 14-140. Probably the best superzoom lens around, especially for the money. I sold mine for the 12-32 and 45-150 and I regretted it at the time. The only negative I found was the weight when paired with a smaller m43 body. From what i've read online, the version ii (aperture goes from 3.5 to 5.6 instead of the mark 1 which goes from 4 to 5.8) is even better and smaller.

MPB 'excellent' condition will be pretty much like new, they'll be ones people got in kit boxes with the G80 or G9 that just flogged in when they were worth more. From what I've seen it's a nice lens, just not bright enough for darker situations. Looks to be a nice lens for video too, fast AF and quiet too. If I didn't love the 12-40 so much I'd nab one for general use, and trade the 12-40 for a couple of tasty primes ... actually not a bad idea hmmm .. :naughty:

TBH if I could only have one "standard" lens it would be the 12-40 f/2.8. It's just that I like to always carry a camera around with the lightest and smallest possible lens(es) so the 12-40 f/2.8 is just a bit too heavy for that. Panasonic do seem to be the masters of the cheap kit lens in m4/3, with the 12-32, 14-45, 14-42 and 12-60 ranging from good to excellent.

TBH if I could only have one "standard" lens it would be the 12-40 f/2.8. It's just that I like to always carry a camera around with the lightest and smallest possible lens(es) so the 12-40 f/2.8 is just a bit too heavy for that. Panasonic do seem to be the masters of the cheap kit lens in m4/3, with the 12-32, 14-45, 14-42 and 12-60 ranging from good to excellent.

It is an awesome lens, I've threatened to sell it numerous times [as I'm always itching to try other things] but I haven't been able to let go yet. The main idea I had was to trade the 12-40 for a couple of Sigma 1.4 primes. Any duo from the 16, 30, 56 1.4 trio - as all are reportedly excellent - sharper than the 12-40 and obviously brighter, and I do like to shoot natural light indoors. But none of them have anything close to the close focus capabilities of the 12-40, otherwise I may have done it by now. It's still tempting as we all know aperture is king at times especially with M43. But the 12-40 really is a keeper, suggest anyone using M43, even as a side system, get it when they can!

The 12-40 is an excellent lens, had thought about the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, but might not be as good let alone better.
Very pleased with the 35-100 f/2.8, ideal travel partner to the 12mm f/2 and 25mm f/1.4
Think the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 can go, just not using it and same goes for the 45mm f/1.8

My two most used lenses are the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the Olympus 14-42 EZ pancake lens. That covers almost every eventuality for walking about and with one lens on the camera and another in the pocket I don’t need a bag.
In day light the EZ is enough.
At night I generally just have the 17mm.

The cheaper collapsible 14-42 from Olympus is also a decent lens for very little money assuming the light is good.

I rarely need more than 42mm so I’ve not looked at the super zooms though many rate them.

Thanks all (y) Interesting & informative.

I don't want to part with my Pana 45-150mm, I love it too much. I have a Pana 100-300mm which I really must make more use of. A lens zooming in to 40 something is just not long enough so it looks like I'll be going for the Pana 12-60, which I tried on my camera in a shop last week and it feels really nice.

Managed to pick up the 12-60 lens today.

I like the form factor, weight and build quality - found out it's even weather-sealed! Weight is similar to the Panasonic 14-45 but it's a bit bulkier. The lens hood locks on more secure as compared to the 14-45.

Here are two straight out of the camera JPEGs shots in overcast light - very impressed with this lens for the price:

20190327_124521_074 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

20190327_124630_081 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Back