Walkabout lens recommendations

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m considering a replacement for my Kit lens and ideally something with a little more reach (nothing too excessive), I’ve already have the wide end covered with my Sigma 10-20mm, a 50mm prime for portraits, and a 70-300 for telephoto.

I’d be wanting this lens to be my main one which would be the default for the camera (400D with grip) or one I would use if carrying a lot of kit was a restriction.

I’ve drawn up the following short list which covers a fairly large budget range, although I would be willing to spend the extra if the difference warrants it (and yes it would be nice to have some L glass).

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens
Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

I think my main decision at the moment is f2.8 vs the extra reach and IS of the 24-105mm.

The f2.8 is appealling to me but if I opt for that I'd need to give serious consideration to if the Canon's premium is worth it over the Sigma (not to mention the size/weight of the Canon).

So does anyone have any thoughts/experience/opinions on the above or even recommend something that I’ve not listed?

Much the same decision I had for my 40D

I went for the 24-105 and haven't regretted it a bit. The IS means I have sucessfully hand held at 1/8 & 1/15 sec and got shots in focus and it's a lot lighter than the 24-70 2.8.

I've got the 24-70 f/2.8. Its an excellent lens, but it is big and heavy. And it produces great results in a number of different situations - landscape, urban and portraits, especially. I would have preferred something a bit wider had I been buying again, but that's a minor niggle. Nearly all of the India / Nepal pics I've been putting up this week were taken with it.

I sold my sigma 24-70. And bought the canon 24-105 L IS.
Sigma seem to have a problem with their Q.C. But if you do manage to get a good copy of the 24-70 you will have a very good and much cheaper lens.

I use the 24-105 IS L f4.

I find the extra reach useful. The IS is good compromise to f2.8 for most walkabout situations

I would sacrifice IS for f2.8
but personally I wouldn't sacrifice the reach for the f2.8

24-105 is really is multi purpose. No substitute and full frame future proof

canon 17-55mm f2.8...no brainer as a general walkaround lens
Hasn't got the reach I'm after, found that to the biggest pain with my kit lens, keep having to swap it for my telephoto all the time when I only really needed the short end of it.

At the moment it looks like the 24-105 is winning.

Another vote for the 24-105 from me, a great walkabout lens. might not be 2.8 but it has IS.

Contest over:D

this thread looks familiar, i've just got the 24-105 and it comes highly recommended, it's a perfect walkabout lens, nice weight and great build quality as expected from an L lens.

this thread looks familiar, i've just got the 24-105 and it comes highly recommended, it's a perfect walkabout lens, nice weight and great build quality as expected from an L lens.
LOL Yep I thought I'd ask here also, pretty sure I'm going to go with the 24-105 unless some major pops up that changes my mind. Trying to get some prices now.

i have owned a sigma 24-70 but sold it soon after buying as i didn't get on with it, i found the focusing too slow and the af-mf mechanism was a pain. Picture quality was very good though.
I currently have a Tamron 28-75 wich i prefer to the sigma as its alot smaller and af is much quicker, and i recently bought a canon 24-70 which i love but its big and heavy.

if you need quick autofocus, get one of the canons, the sigma is really slow and the tamron is still slow compared to the canon.

i think i'll be keeping the tamron and the canon. ill use the tamron when doing street photography as i dont want a big fat lens on my camera,then i'd use the canon the rest of the time.

as for the f/4 vs f/2.8, it depends on wether you think you need the extra shutter speed flexibility from the 2.8 or if the IS would be more use. do you shoot static subject or fast moving things most?

I use my 17-40L, and usually always at the wide end :)

got my 10-20 for that :D

the 24-105 ranges from about £550 for the 'kit' version (no case or box) to £699 on the expensive end, i think at Warehouse express, the retail version is £650 and worth every penny :)

for me 24-105 is aways the first lens in the bag, if you have low light use a 50 1.4 a 2.8 lens is only 1 stop better.

the 24-105 ranges from about £550 for the 'kit' version (no case or box)

I'd steer clear of that - mine came as 'kit version' when i bought the 5d - but it came in its own box with case as did the 5d - both in a larger box.

Another vote for the 24-105 as it's light with excellent image quality. It's not very wide though on a crop sensor, which is why i always keep my wide angle in the bag just in case.

sorry, meant to start a new thread...

Shifted

sorry about that, I meant to start a new thread :(

To stay on topic, I have the 24-105 and its a great lens, not very wide on a 1.6 crop though so you may want to think about an ultra wide lens.

As has already been said - it isn't fantastic in low light but it's more than capable of getting a good shot if you know what you're doing (and have time to set it up!)

good price as long as it's the retail version.

I bought a 40D recently and I have only one lens with it ... I went for the 24-105L after much deliberation. My only other option was a nifty fifty, but you already have one of those :)

Nice one!

24-105 is 99% of the time attached to my camera. Can't fault it at all. Very versatile for day-to-day use

You wont regret it!

I went for the 24-105 and its a great lens, its hardly ever off my camera, the focal length is very useful and the IS really helps.

It turned up today, very impressed with the service from onestop-digital and how quick it got here. Puts some of the UK retailers to shame.

I've not even had a chance to take any proper pics with it yet but I'm already impressed, its built like a tank but not too heavy to use. Can see this getting a lot of use.

Back