Walking home from the village - again

Edit My Images
Yes
I was so disappointed with yesterday's efforts that I had to have another try today. The weather was a lot worse. Anyway

#1 - I stood outside Claude's and got another image of the Bold Arms

2928704825_f0b7c6725d_o.jpg

#2 - crossed over to the Bold's side of the street and got an image of the thatched cottage and Claude's

2930347605_4e5de9fc6b_o.jpg

#3 - walked down the street and got an image of the Georgian building and its block

2929568528_a6b2fd5611_o.jpg

#4 - I crossed over and the sign had changed

2928705083_e4fe2ea374_o.jpg

#5 - the car had gone from the drive of the thatched cottage

2929568646_94619b9fd0_o.jpg

#6 - and back towards our house

2928704669_3d92fb904a_o.jpg

No sun, no shadows today.

Last edited:
Thanks, Matt. The lack of Sun seemed to help.

I must say it looks a lovely place, well captured Russ. The Bold arms looks an inviting establishment.:beer:

Andy

Yep, lighting was more kind to you this time Russell. This is a nice set (y)

My favourite is the last one with the lovely cottage garden.

Neil

really liking this set russ..the last one is great...love the colours of the dahlias and the rickety fenceline....:)

just a god damn shame the council have graffitied 2 yellow lines in such a stunning village

I must say it looks a lovely place, well captured Russ. The Bold arms looks an inviting establishment.:beer:

Andy

Thanks, Andy. The whole place is quaint with its mixture of Victorian, Georgian and possibly earlier architecture. The Bold is all right and does a roaring trade in the Summer with people stood and sat outside. If you come to Southport, I'll buy you a pint (or whatever) there.

Yep, lighting was more kind to you this time Russell. This is a nice set (y)

My favourite is the last one with the lovely cottage garden.

Neil

Thanks, Neil. Much better light today. That cottage garden is in bloom from may til know and beyond. I go past it most days and think I should take a picture of this today - and don't. Cos I know it will be just as beautiful tomorrow. It was fabulous when the roses were in full bloom.

really liking this set russ..the last one is great...love the colours of the dahlias and the rickety fenceline....:)

just a god damn shame the council have graffitied 2 yellow lines in such a stunning village

Thanks, there are some things that you can exclude from an image, others you can clone and crop. But these double yellows are every where. I'm going to try one day to get the images without the yellow lines, probably end up shooting first floors and above only.

Nice set RH, look a lovely little village, it my time too pull you on verticals I think, Looks to me like the first two images are slightly off mate... I think the last is my fav..

Nigel

Very nice set, different from last ones as you say because of very different light. The ones of the pub show a good contrast when you look at them one after the other with the different light.

Nice set RH, look a lovely little village, it my time too pull you on verticals I think, Looks to me like the first two images are slightly off mate... I think the last is my fav..

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. It is a lovely place with lots of different styles, plenty of white and then the thatched cottages. I did try and straighten #1 on the lamp post before posting, but did nothing to #2 and it looks off to me now. The smaller lamp post is off true and I have tried to correct the perspective in the verticals to give a truer image.

Very nice set, different from last ones as you say because of very different light. The ones of the pub show a good contrast when you look at them one after the other with the different light.

Thanks. I went out two hours later in the day for the second set, but there was no direct sunlight, hence no shadows. That's another lesson for me to tuck away for the future. I'm beginning to like the pub image more and more, the number of different levels of roof is very appealing to me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking these houses are a perfect target for shoting.
Specially for foreigners ;)

Looks like you were wrestling with a pretty flat light.

I wonder if you could do something with the levels to make the skies more moody - it looks like the detail hasn't been lost and could be brought out.

#1 looks a little underexposed and the bollards / lamppost are distracting. Cracking colours of the flowers in the last shot. Did you take any close ups of the Dahlias?

It looks like a nice place but unfortunately your photos look a bit bland. The sky is over-exposed in some. The buildings are under-exposed by maybe half a stop to a stop. The composition on some is a bit off, especially the sign. The tall lampposts don't really add to the shot, neither do the bollards. What you need is an ND grad to darken the sky on these. Currently it just looks like it was a really dull day.

Much better than the ones posted in the first thread. Not alot you can do about the lamp posts but they are over powering and ruin the pub pic a little.

Tim

Great set.
I like the last one best !

Keith.

Thanks, Keith. The majority seem to think this small cottage and its garden is the best of the set. I will go back and get some more images of the flowers when the Sun is in the right part of the sky. The garden faces East which puts its limitations on the times available to get the best from the colours.

I'm thinking these houses are a perfect target for shoting.
Specially for foreigners ;)

Thanks elektro. You're welcome to come and have a try. You can also have a pint at the Bold Arms. I know how good you are with white buildings, from the Santorino images.

Looks like you were wrestling with a pretty flat light.

I wonder if you could do something with the levels to make the skies more moody - it looks like the detail hasn't been lost and could be brought out.

#1 looks a little underexposed and the bollards / lamppost are distracting. Cracking colours of the flowers in the last shot. Did you take any close ups of the Dahlias?

Thanks, I'll have a go at the levels and see what I can do with the skies. The bollards and lampposts abound. While I would rather not haver them in shot, they are at least sympathetic, to some extent, to the age of the village. I will get some dahlia close ups and post them if I can get the images right.

Last one is very nice, flowers are vibrant and lovely colours. Plenty to look at in the image.

Thanks, I will go back for some shots of the flowers. The cottage is a thatched version of the fishermen's cottages which are across the road from us. The garden is a delight most of the year.

It looks like a nice place but unfortunately your photos look a bit bland. The sky is over-exposed in some. The buildings are under-exposed by maybe half a stop to a stop. The composition on some is a bit off, especially the sign. The tall lampposts don't really add to the shot, neither do the bollards. What you need is an ND grad to darken the sky on these. Currently it just looks like it was a really dull day.

Thanks Pete. I guess that I get what I deserve for accepting the software's suggestion as to what is correct. I chose to put the sign there as it was a matter of centimetres from a car, which I didn't want in the shot at all. I'll see what I can do about the skies and getting some more character into them. It was a really dull day - they are all taken about midday. I used the W300D for all of the images; it doesn't have a wide range of filters. You're welcome to come over and show me how me what you would do. I'll buy you lunch in a local eatery of your choice.

Much better than the ones posted in the first thread. Not a lot you can do about the lamp posts but they are over powering and ruin the pub pic a little.

Tim

Thanks, I wanted to improve on the first set. No use being the same buffoon twice and ignoring people's helpful suggestions. The only image I can get of the pub without the lampposts is as follows:

2931717620_606f3a9051_o.jpg

Midday is about the worst time to photograph things. Wait for the golden hour. 1 hour before sunset is the best light. Photography is all about light and well the light in these is really bad. Its a kicker when you realise that you only really have 2hrs a day for great photos. Better luck next time eh. :p Oh and I don't date older men, or men for that matter :p

Midday is about the worst time to photograph things. Wait for the golden hour. 1 hour before sunset is the best light. Photography is all about light and well the light in these is really bad. Its a kicker when you realise that you only really have 2hrs a day for great photos. Better luck next time eh. :p Oh and I don't date older men, or men for that matter :p

Thanks for the advice Pete. I'm sure I read that somewhere, but it slips my mind as to where at the moment. The reason for needing luck next time would be if one didn't have a method and didn't accept what others suggested as improvements to that method. I have sons who are almost your age. I don't mind buying them dinner and they don't mind accepting. They have the advantages of being more intelligent and better mannered (than I am).

Back