Wandering 'round Abingdon

Edit My Images
Yes
My 1Gb xd card turn up this afternoon which was surprising since amazon said it'd be despatched tomorrow and should arrive on monday :thumb:

So I took my Fuji E900 for a walk and a bit of a play what follows are some examples of what I got. They ain't the best shots as Abingdon isn't that photogenic and I may have made some school boy errors :whistling Who'd forget to change ISO from 800 to something sensible for a P&S on a sunny day :nut:

In the order of what I like most to least
bridge.jpg

I know the highlights are completely blown out but I like the comp so may go back and have another stab at it when the suns not as low
railing.jpg

river.jpg

StEdmund.jpg

vermin.jpg

tree.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the camera all I need now is to learn how to work it properly :ponders:

Gemok said:
I'm pretty with the camera
Maybe, but you're a right ugly sod without it. :p

I like the 2nd one best. First one looks slightly over-exposed - the sky and the buildings at the top of the picture are gone for a burton. Although I see you're aware of this. :)

I'm pretty with the camera
should be in my signature :)
Unfortunatly I took the first shot before I remembered to start using the raw functions and after I experimented with iso 800 :annoyed:

Nice images. If I could offer a general critique as to your technique, there's one thing I have noticed that is apparent in all your images. Your position. I think if you jiggled about slightly, you will notice a marked improvement.

Allow me to demonstrate :

1 : Sidestep to the right and turn left a little, allowing the bridge to be more 'legible'.
2 : Sidestep left, and turn right, so the railings spread more across the frame.
4 : Sidestep to the right, so you are more square on to the plaque. Harsh direct sidelighting will give you a bit of shadow to give it depth.
5 : Get eye level with ol percy, makes so much of a difference.

Hope this is taken in the manner it is offered, a tip on how you can improve :)

You are always going to have troubles with shot 1 due to darkness under bridge, vs lightness of above. Try multi bracketing & using some HDR software to bring it together

I know what you're saying marcel and I know I do have to improve where I choose to stand to take my shots
The reasons what some of my poistioning are
1) the railings further right were too tight for me to get my hands through, the writing is on the other side off the bridge though so will have ago for that side next time
2) Was so cold beside that river I was shaking had to use the railings to hold the camera steady LOL
3) can do although the sunlight by this time wasn't what you'd call harsh
4) Bent down, car went by and the bugger flew away :(

Love the colours in the wall plaque shot.

The last one of the tree doesn't quite look right...there's no purple fringing around the branches :LOL:

Gemok said:
4) Bent down, car went by and the bugger flew away :(

LOL Sods law at work I see :D

I'm not being critical, so I'm glad you take my advice in the way it is intended. It's just something that poked me in the eye when looking at those shots. I suppose it's just something I personally would try if it were me...a step to the left here...or maybe a shift to the right there. Not that what I say is the *right* way of doing things, far from it...
As you know photography is a very subjective thing, so what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander, hehe

Regards :)

Back