Wanted to try this for ages!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Been wanting to try star trails for ages but not had chance to go anywhere interesting!:thumbsdown:

This is my first attempt so thought it would be a good idea to just try some in the back garden to get the feel of things before i head off to try and find a more interesting location!(I have a few in mind(y))

I think it is ok but would appreciate any comments to help so that when i get chance to get out of the garden i won't make a mess!:help:

When i get chance to go to my chosen location i will be extending the amount of time this was purely for test purposes!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cotty332000/6449279347/] Back Garden star trail 1 by cotty332000, on Flickr[/URL]

Already commented on flickr :D but this is very good (y) for a first attempt it's spot on :clap: looking forward to seeing you take this out and about, I'm waiting for the next clear night :D

Matt

Thanks to all of your info i was able to make a success at the first attempt!
Top Man Thank You!!:clap:

Very good. I want to get a go at star trails too, not sure of the method to use. Is it safe to use bulb for long periods? Or would stacking be better?

Last edited:
Not bad, location could be better but as a test looks goodish, it all seems a bit blurred did you put your lens on manual, another way is twist lens so it disengages the exposure and aperture minor adjustment, basically disable any communication to the lens, so no adjustments to the camera, whilst shooting http://blog.planet5d.com/2011/11/getting-rid-of-flicker-in-timelapse-the-lens-twist-method/ it works for timelapse as well

I think the blurr was due to the fact that it was extremely windy!:bonk:

Very good. I want to get a go at star trails too, not sure of the method to use. Is it safe to use bulb for long periods? Or would stacking be better?

If you use bulb you run the risk of over heating your sensor i believe!
The best method is stacking there are a couple of free pieces of software which enable you to stack the frames easily , a quick google will reveal them one is startrails.de(which i used for this) and another is starstax which i have also used!:)

What were your settings on the camera? I'd be keen on giving this a go but never tried it before so don't know the right ballpark of setup.

Cotty, great photographs I like the ambient light and foreground, most people seam to just point the cameras up in the sky. What was your ISO and exposure time?

Interesting comment about the Bulb burn-out I wasn't aware of that.

That is a great first attempt to try out the technique and reckon you have it spot on :clap:
Most of my trails have been in the garden and even one from inside my shed. Great place to experiment without getting too cold!

Look forward to seeing some more when you get out on location :)

I've only tried this once but I did learn that framing the foreground interest is impossible in totally darkness as is my finding the pole star:LOL: If I try again I'll take a bigger torch to help with focussing and light painting to avoid using flash. My results here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=105316&title=200311-copy&cat=500
Looks like your test went well, good luck with the project:)

Nice,a bit more interesting than my garden fence!:LOL:

What were your settings on the camera? I'd be keen on giving this a go but never tried it before so don't know the right ballpark of setup.

If you take a look at Matts signature MWHCVT earlier in this thread he has got a great tutorial that gives you all the info you need to have a stab at this.(y)

Last edited:
Cotty, great photographs I like the ambient light and foreground, most people seam to just point the cameras up in the sky. What was your ISO and exposure time?

Interesting comment about the Bulb burn-out I wasn't aware of that.

ISO 800 aperture f4 80 15 sec exposures stacked using startrails.

That is a great first attempt to try out the technique and reckon you have it spot on :clap:
Most of my trails have been in the garden and even one from inside my shed. Great place to experiment without getting too cold!

Look forward to seeing some more when you get out on location :)

Yea,I set the camera up on the patio,set it going and went in and watched the tele whilst it did it's stuff!:LOL:

Unfortunately where i am planning on doing a 2hour light trail this will not be an option!:nuts:

Back