Warm temp after monitor calibration

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've just recalibrated my LG (27UL850) monitor using the SpyderX Pro, and when I look at my usual non-photo-editing apps (Chrome, Office docs, Windows Explorer, etc) the whites do look a bit warmer than I was expecting.

It's definitely not 'brilliant' white, and I guess in my inexperienced head a standard white should be 'not noticeably cool' and 'not noticeably warm' i.e. nicely in between these two.

It may be that I just had my monitor set too cool before, and that I need to get used to it (?)

Just wondered if this was common/normal?

I've been snapping for about 10 years now, and never printed an image yet, and I want to try printing out, and so I want to make sure my monitor is calibrated to a correct/standard level so that I can be confident of my WB/colour processing in edit.

Thanks much.
Steve.

Update: I just calibrated again and the white point looks more like what I expected. I guess time of day, temp of ambient light is a key factor
Yesterday I first calibrated towards end of daylight sort of time, and then again when it was dark/with room lighting - and the white point was the same for both.
I guess that's kind of surprising that they had the same reading, in the different types of light yesterday, what with this morning's readings coming out different/much cooler.

Monitor calibration doesn't always seem as reliable as might be expected, especially if your calibration device reads ambient light. Sometimes it's worth a second go if it looks a bit off.

When calibrating, you need to room lighting to be not bright and close to what you will be editing/printing in. My computer is in a south facing room and I always calibrate in the evening to avoid direct sunshine on the window.

When calibrating, you need to room lighting to be not bright and close to what you will be editing/printing in. My computer is in a south facing room and I always calibrate in the evening to avoid direct sunshine on the window.

Thanks John. I edit both in daylight and evening (i.e. with room lights on). So I guess, if the white balance part was equal, I could have a couple of colour profiles, one for daytime, and one for night/room light - as the brightness levels would be different for both. However, as previously eluded, my experience so far is that the white balance is set differently for these 2 different times of day/night!
I'll try another night time one soon, see if I get a different reading to last night, and then if the white balance is the same as the daytime one, I can use it.
Cheers

Edit: Tried again just now and the white balance is the same as during daylight (y). So now I have the two profiles with the only difference is brightness levels.
Now all I have to do is remember to have the profile when doing any serious edits! :giggle:

Thanks both, for the feedback.

Last edited:
Back