Wary Jay

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
They are not very happy with me now. I have put the red squirrel food inside a cage & now the Jay's cannot get to it.:LOL:
Jay_2_176.jpg

Jay_2_193.jpg

Really good close ups, Charlie.

They are really quite exotic looking birds.

What was your approx. camera to subject distance?

Really good close ups, Charlie.

They are really quite exotic looking birds.

What was your approx. camera to subject distance?

Cheers.
Taken with my 300mm uncropped. Distance would be about 8 feet.
I did have one sat on the windowsill of the hide (I have a food tray on it). That one was only about 18 inches from me & I could did not dare to move for fear of scaring it off. No pic but I did get a very detailed look at the bird!:)

He looks a bit grumpy with you Charlie :bat: but nice close ups with good detail and colour (y)

He looks a bit grumpy with you Charlie :bat: but nice close ups with good detail and colour (y)

Ach they have had it far to easy. Now they can work for their food. I am not a charity you know.:LOL::LOL:

Up close and personal as always Charlie ;) (y) Hope you are keeping well? And out of curiosity, did those Robins raise a brood in yer shed? :D

Up close and personal as always Charlie ;) (y) Hope you are keeping well? And out of curiosity, did those Robins raise a brood in yer shed? :D

They did indeed.
I was sat in the mill early the other morning & what wandered in the door? A female Stoat on the hunt for a nice young Robin.:)
It got the Pheasant nest just outside the door.

They did indeed.
I was sat in the mill early the other morning & what wandered in the door? A female Stoat on the hunt for a nice young Robin.:)
It got the Pheasant nest just outside the door.

:puke: Hope you stood yer ground Charlie :LOL: I have heard that Stoat if really hungry especially in harsh winter conditions, can be a nasty bit of work. Is it true that they have been known to hunt in packs? Or just an old wives tale?

Last edited:
Love the depth of field ( or lack of it) on the first one. The head on the tilt gives it something extra.

Cheers.
Taken with my 300mm uncropped. Distance would be about 8 feet.
I did have one sat on the windowsill of the hide (I have a food tray on it). That one was only about 18 inches from me & I could did not dare to move for fear of scaring it off. No pic but I did get a very detailed look at the bird!:)

Thanks, Charlie - that's really the key to getting shots with fine detail showing up well. Close enough to fill the frame.

That's why folk like me struggle. If, like me, you just go walkabouts with your camera you need to very lucky indeed to get near to anything.

Thanks, Charlie - that's really the key to getting shots with fine detail showing up well. Close enough to fill the frame.

That's why folk like me struggle. If, like me, you just go walkabouts with your camera you need to very lucky indeed to get near to anything.

I agree. I was out with a tog with a long lens one evening & the first thing that struck me was that there was no real feeling of "being there". No special moment, as the subject was so far off. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
The hide I built has been very interesting,not only for photography but also for just watching in close up. Especially the wee red fellas!:D

Superb close ups Charlie, you have waited a long time for them, but worth the wait..........(y)

Stoats hunting in packs? The adults teach the young how to hunt, but I would not say they hunt in packs,I have certainly never seen them,though I could well be wrong.

Superb close ups Charlie, you have waited a long time for them, but worth the wait..........(y)

Stoats hunting in packs? The adults teach the young how to hunt, but I would not say they hunt in packs,I have certainly never seen them,though I could well be wrong.

Walked along the side of a railway line up near Golspie in Sutherland once. Dozen or more weasels ran along side me. Some would disappear into holes and reappear out of other holes. Amazing sight.

Oh yes,Stoats. I forgot to comment on that bit.
The first time I came across a "pack" of stoats was when I was a wee lad a long long time ago.:D They were in a Thrush nest which was built in the roots of a blown tree. They had just devoured the contents. It looked more like Eeels the way they were all tangled together.
I have seen packs a few times since, but as frac says they were family groups,either moving house or being shown the ropes by Mum.
I have not done so for a long time but I used to be able to "squeak" them into me. The last time I did it the stoat was jumping over my boots as I lay on the ground with my back against a tree. I decided that was a little to close though! Having been bitten many times by a ferret I had no great desire to sample the stoats teeth.:LOL:

Back